Molly's dying ...

1. Jackie Frost Member Member

She had a cloudy eye yesterday so I rushed out and got her some medicine. That cleared it right up, but today she can't even swim upright. She hangs to one side and then the other. The current pushes her around the tank like a floating ballon. (I even turned off the airstone to make it easier for her.) It's horrible. I don't think there's any medicine in the world that can help her at this stage guys. :'(

I've been thinking about euthaniasia. Can I do that with baking powder? I don't have any baking soda or clove of oil in the house. Or maybe the kindest thing to do is to continue to let her float around aimlessly like she's been doing. She can't be happy doing that though.:'(

I feel awful.

2. Shadowbeam Member Member

I'm so sorry about your sick Molly *hugs*

3. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

I'm so sorry about your molly.
    The only humane way I know to euthanize is with clove oil and vodka.
    Never heard with baking powder or baking soda.
    Maybe if you out her in a q tank with no current, so she doesn't get picked on.

4. Jackie Frost Member Member

She won't get picked on. She's in a tank all by herself. It's the cycling that did her in! i'm so mad at myself that I didn't know about cycling a tank earlier.:mad:

Oh well. I have a feeling she won't make it til morning anyway. If she's still alive I'll get either the cloves or the baking soda or the alka selzer (that's supposed to work too.)tommorow. Is Walgreens open on Thanksgiving?:;dk

5. Shadowbeam Member Member

Ah many of us have been there, don't blame yourself about it! It's such a shame that many LFS's are like this :(

6. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

I'm so sorry she's sick and you're having to make this difficult decision. Big hugs from GA. A lot of us didn't know about cycling when we started fishkeeping. Please don't blame yourself.

7. Jackie Frost Member Member

She died overnight gang. Like I said in another post I'm not unhappy about that because at least she isn't suffering anymore. Now I'm also able to properly cycle the tank. I want to thank you for your support because my other friends think I'm silly to be so attached to a fish. (None of them are animal lovers.)

Happy Thanksgiving Everybody!

8. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

I'm so sorry you lost her:;group We know what you're going through. Have a Happy Thanksgiving.

9. Shadowbeam Member Member

I'm so so sorry Jackie :(
    And your friends may think you're silly for caring but we don't! We all love our fish to bits here so we know how hard it is to lose one *hugs* hang in there