Molly X Guppy Breeding: Possible?

Aureus
I've been reading about this for a little while and have seen conflicting reports on whether this is possible or night. Considering that both of these fish share the same Genus and seeing that Donkeys and Horses, which share the same Genus, are able to produce offspring, I was curious to see if Mollys and Guppies were also able to reproduce. Thank you!

Mary765
But donkeys and horses don't share the same viable genus i.e they can make a baby but the baby cannot then go on to make more babies, the baby is infertile and the baby will die without it's own child to take on after it.

Platylover
Yes, guppies and mollies can hybridinise, but as Mary said the offspring will be infertile.

david1978
To stretch it a little farther. Endlers, guppies and mollies can crossbreed.

Aureus
But donkeys and horses don't share the same viable genus i.e they can make a baby but the baby cannot then go on to make more babies, the baby is infertile and the baby will die without it's own child to take on after it.
That's true, but they were still able to procreate. The only thing that I'm really interested in is the actual possibility of the offspring, not so much their viability.

Aureus
To stretch it a little farther. Endlers, guppies and mollies can crossbreed.
That's really interesting!

Mary765
That's true, but they were still able to procreate. The only thing that I'm really interested in is the actual possibility of the offspring, not so much their viability.

Fair enough. Want sure if you were trying to create a new sustainable strain/breed or if you were doing it for the fun!

Aureus
Yes, guppies and mollies can hybridinise, but as Mary said the offspring will be infertile.
I've been wanting to try this out for a while... do you know if it'd be better to use a male Guppy and female Mollys or a male Molly and female Guppies?

Aureus
Fair enough. Want sure if you were trying to create a new sustainable strain/breed or if you were doing it for the fun!
I've been really wanting to do something challenging and I feel as if this would be a cool project to do over the summer.

Mary765
I've been really wanting to do something challenging and I feel as if this would be a cool project to do over the summer.

I love cool summer projects!!

I've been wanting to try this out for a while... do you know if it'd be better to use a male Guppy and female Mollys or a male Molly and female Guppies?

Just guesswork but as mollies are bigger I would say female Molly and male guppy to avoid birth complications from the fry being too big for the mum.

Keep us updated with your fry if it works out for you!!

Aureus
I definitely will, Mary765

david1978
Yes having the female of the bigger species will produce more babies as well as having fewer deformities.

Skunk Corycat
I think a female molly and a male guppy would be the best route to take, since the spawn may be too big for a female guppy. I have been trying to do this as well for fun, but my male guppies aren't too interested in my female mollies. I wish you luck on your summer project, and please post pictures of the results.

Mary765
Speaking of summer projects, I'm hoping to make a fish tank over the summer if I can

Aureus
Speaking of summer projects, I'm hoping to make a fish tank over the summer if I can
That's wonderful! Is it going to be acrylic or glass?

Aureus
This is all getting me really excited! Now I just need to decide if I want to breed BN Plecos or Guppies x Mollys (who've I been referring to as "Gollys") this summer... decisions, decisions.

Mary765
That's wonderful! Is it going to be acrylic or glass?

Glass if I can get my hands on some I'm hoping to experiment with creating the perfect fool-proof beginners tank because we all know the amount of aquatic casualties that happen

This is all getting me really excited! Now I just need to decide if I want to breed BN Plecos or Guppies x Mollys (who've I been referring to as "Gollys") this summer... decisions, decisions.

Golly gosh darnit do I want to see a "Golly"

Aureus
I guess it'll be Golly breeding then! I'm really excited for this project, so it might end up starting a bit sooner than summer... now I just need to decide what color Mollys and Guppies to get

Mary765
You can get some really nice fancy breeding pairs on eBay

Aureus
You can get some really nice fancy breeding pairs on eBay
Yeah, there are some really pretty ones. I'm hoping to either get gold-dust or silver Mollys, but I haven't decided on the Guppies just yet, though.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Aysu
Replies
Views
winglessicarus
Replies
Views
Fishboy321
Replies