Molly won't give birth

1. Mlahauck

Mlahauck New Member Member

My molly is huge and her scales are all sticking out and she has been swimming in the same spot at the bottom of the tank all day with her head towards the ground and her tail up. I have never had a fish have babies before and I don't know if this is worrisome or if it's normal behavior.

2. :) fatcatfish (:

:) fatcatfish (: Well Known Member Member

'Pineconing' scales are often a sign of Dropsy, as is a loss of balance as the fluid builds up in the tissues causing the fish to bloat, which can put pressure on the swim bladder. What are your parameters and tank size?

3. OP
    OP
    Mlahauck

Nitrites 0 ammonia 0 nitrates 20. pH 6.8. I initially thought maybe she was sick but wasn't sure so I pulled her from her tank into a 1/2 gallon holder with some tank water. Right away she delivered 3 fry still in their sack. I researched a bit more and put her in a 10 gallon that's been fully cycled for 9 months that I keep a few dwarf shrimp in. That was Tuesday.

4. OP
    OP
    Mlahauck

Also heavily planted tank

5. OP
    OP
    Mlahauck

1466891566573.jpg 1466891578158.jpg 1466891588193.jpg

6. Sarah73

Sarah73 Fishlore VIP Member

Looks like she has an fungus infection. She is very big. If she is pooping out fry, then she's pregnant. How is she swimming? How many fish are in the tank she was in before you moved her?

7. OP
    OP
    Mlahauck

There are 15 in a 37 Gallon. She's doing the fish version of waddling. Not sideways or anything just with her head down. What clues you in to a fungus?

8. Sadique Mohammad Akhtar

Sadique Mohammad Akhtar New Member Member

I've had the same problem with couple of platys and guppy. Usually they die in max 3-4 days. This is called Dropsy. It generally happens due to genetic problem. I'm not sure if it can be treated. Mine all died.

9. Sarah73

Sarah73 Fishlore VIP Member

You have 15 mollies In a 37gal? That's a lot of mollies for that small of a tank. She sadly also has dropsy and she is pregnant. I have never been able to treat any fish and have them live:(.

10. OP
    OP
    Mlahauck

Not all Molly's . It's a community of mostly tetras 1 guppy, a blue ram & a few snails. No other Molly's. Hmmmmmm.

11. SnarkyXTS

SnarkyXTS Valued Member Member

How hard is your water? Kh/gh? Is she shimmying? If so & in conjunction w/dropsy & swim bladder, she's definitely not ok. She looks heavily pregnant but it could also look that way because she's so pineconed. Since u said she's the only Molly in the community tank, the water may be too soft for her. Mollies (as well as guppies & other livebearers) require hard water, a lot of minerals. Even if you moved her to the shrimp tank, if your water is too soft it won't matter. With your ph at 6.8, I seems like your water is on the softer side. This site has plenty of info on what you could do to increase your hardness, possibly help dropsy & swim bladder issues.
    It also seems like she aborted some of her fry, wish I could say that's good news but with all her issues she might not make it through labor.
    Good luck & keep us posted.