Molly with odd swimming and fighting w other fish

NewToTheTropics

My Molly has been acting strangely in the last 24 hrs and I’m looking for some insight. It will lay on the bottom occasionally and then it will flap it’s tail to one side and not propel forward. My aquarium has just recovered from Ick in the last 2 weeks and there’s no sign of it currently (other than this if this could be Ick). All water parameters are completely normal. it continues to eat normally. it will intermittently swim completely normally. I’ve also noticed some of the other fish starting to fight with it here and there which is new. I’ve had my tank for about 3 months and none of the fish are new. TIA

BigManAquatics

Could be a side effect of the treatment, especially if meds were involved, on the swimming. As far as fighting, no one ever wants to talk about it, but in my experience, mollies are mean fish, even meaner than tiger barbs.

Noroomforshoe

Is there a possibilitythat the fish is a pregnant female?

NewToTheTropics

Could be a side effect of the treatment, especially if meds were involved, on the swimming. As far as fighting, no one ever wants to talk about it, but in my experience, mollies are mean fish, even meaner than tiger barbs.
Really ! Interesting. I have 3 mollys in my tank x3 months and this is the first fighting I’ve seen… time will tell! Thx for your insight!
Is there a possibilitythat the fish is a pregnant female?
Maybe? First of all is this a female Molly?!? Lol picture attached

Attachments

• 85C89E60-6FBF-406E-986C-45177F06717C.jpeg
    85C89E60-6FBF-406E-986C-45177F06717C.jpeg
    207.2 KB · Views: 5

Debbie1986

I had 3 Dalmatian mollies for several months ( purchased 6 originally, 2 died in quaretine, 3rd died a few week after.)

the female molly picked the one she liked and he hangs around her. The other one seemed okay and hung out with guppies and then 1 day just died... it was weird. no issues prior - no fights , nothing.

based on reading about their breeding behavior, the rejected molly does appear to have a shortened life span.

if your fish were juvenile, then they are mature now and mating instincts are kicking in.

now, my male will swim tightly with her and seem to 'mouth' her side but leaves no marks. it's almost herding behavior (control) / 'courting ' breeeding

If it was me, I'd focus on water changes every other day

water problems in my limited experience can cause aggression ( survival instincts kick in) and was how I ended up with 'Jack the Ripper' my late white skirt tetra with 2 confirmed kills, 3 suspected deaths...
once I got my water issue handled, no more attacks

NewToTheTropics

Debbie1986 Noroomforshoe thx!
Can you look at my pictures for sex ID? I believe the white is male and the Dalmatian and black are female. The white is the one in question. Is there a male to female ratio I should aim for?

Attachments

• 741AEC01-ED98-4C2A-82D4-ABC4A182108A.jpeg
    741AEC01-ED98-4C2A-82D4-ABC4A182108A.jpeg
    169.1 KB · Views: 1
  • 5AD02FEC-4E83-4CF5-984A-915B657A5DEB.jpeg
    5AD02FEC-4E83-4CF5-984A-915B657A5DEB.jpeg
    71.9 KB · Views: 1
  • B9AAFC4A-4F3D-4FAD-81C8-6DD0F362556E.jpeg
    B9AAFC4A-4F3D-4FAD-81C8-6DD0F362556E.jpeg
    207.2 KB · Views: 1

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Heron