Molly with erratic swimming

1. AngelicNerd Member Member

I have a lyretail Molly who doesn't seem to be doing too well. When she swims, she looks like she's trying to fold herself in half, just very jerky movements. Her eyes are a little bulgy, and she's staying pretty much in one spot near the top of the aquarium. Any ideas?https://vimeo.com/169634863

2. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

3. AngelicNerd Member Member

It just started this afternoon. The tank is a 53 gallon, 36x18x21 in. pH is 7.5, temp 76, Am 0, Nitrites 10, Nitrates 30. I do water changes once a week, about 20%.

4. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

If nitrites are 10, that's a big problem. Nitrites are very toxic. Do multiple large changes (50%+) to get the nitrites below 0.5 ppm. That could very easily be the issue.

When your tank gets cycled again, I would increase your weekly changes to 50%.

5. BamBamSorg Well Known Member Member

6. AngelicNerd Member Member

Ack! Not 10. This is what I get for trying to write it from memory. Nitrites are 1. Not 10. I am new to aquariums, but I sure hope I'm not that ignorant. ;)

7. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

1 is still alarming. I'd do at least a 50% water change now, and again tomorrow.

8. AngelicNerd Member Member

Okay. Will do.

9. BamBamSorg Well Known Member Member

Im just asking sorry if I made you mad :( im just wondering

10. AngelicNerd Member Member

No BamBam, I was frustrated at myself, not you! Totally not mad.

11. BamBamSorg Well Known Member Member

Oh ok lol I didnt want to leave you all mad at me. Lol its funny cause everyone calls me BamBam. At school people call me BamSorg XD its really funny

12. AngelicNerd Member Member

Well, she seems to be doing better this morning after the water change. I didn't have time to test my parameters before I had to head to work but I'll still do another water change tonight.

13. AngelicNerd Member Member

Tests today show 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 30 nitrate, but the jerky swimming is back.

Edit: Been watching her off and on for the past half hour or so. It almost looks like weakness, like she has too hard of a time swimming in place so it gets jerky.

14. BamBamSorg Well Known Member Member

Do you have any chlorine or dangerous chemicals that accidentally spilled in?

15. AngelicNerd Member Member

No chlorine, but I did start dosing liquid CO2 and ferts for my plants. I did a rescape the other day and added a bunch of plants that I'd ordered. Do you think the plants might have brought something along??

16. AngelicNerd Member Member

Aaaand I just figured out what's wrong with her probably. Male's too obsessed. Blargh. Guess I need to either take the male back or get another female. (I've got two. Just read it needs to be 3:1 not 2:1 like I thought.)