Molly Stressed Or Sick?

Mollieworld

Active Member
Member
Messages
154
Reaction score
60
Location
WA
Experience
4 years
I have checked my tank parameters they are Nitrate 40, Nitrite 0, Hardness 150, Chlorine 0, Alkaline 0-40 (not 100% of the color of 40 but too dark to be 0) pH 6.2 temp about 77F. I also have live plants (too many at the moment as I'm cycling a new tank and need these plants in with the mollies now because I have baby fry I want to keep and that is their hiding spots.) the 10 gallon is a bit crowded atm with live plants. however my "Big Momma" is prego of course but she is acting normal except she's chomping at the water not at the surface for air but it almost looks like she's having a hard time swallowing something she will swim around chomping and stretching out her mouth will big. she's still picking at the plants and sides of the tank like normal, chasing her husband away like normal (I have 3 adults 2 f and one m and one juvenile with 2 fry) last water change was a week ago. Should I just do another water change and see if that helps her or is there something actually wrong?
 

Momgoose56

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
6,010
Reaction score
3,905
Location
Arizona
Experience
More than 10 years
Mollieworld said:
I have checked my tank parameters they are Nitrate 40, Nitrite 0, Hardness 150, Chlorine 0, Alkaline 0-40 (not 100% of the color of 40 but too dark to be 0) pH 6.2 temp about 77F. I also have live plants (too many at the moment as I'm cycling a new tank and need these plants in with the mollies now because I have baby fry I want to keep and that is their hiding spots.) the 10 gallon is a bit crowded atm with live plants. however my "Big Momma" is prego of course but she is acting normal except she's chomping at the water not at the surface for air but it almost looks like she's having a hard time swallowing something she will swim around chomping and stretching out her mouth will big. she's still picking at the plants and sides of the tank like normal, chasing her husband away like normal (I have 3 adults 2 f and one m and one juvenile with 2 fry) last water change was a week ago. Should I just do another water change and see if that helps her or is there something actually wrong?
Do a 50% water change and see if that helps. If you can post a video of her behavior it would help us maybe figure or what's going on. What do you feed her normally? Have you added anything new recently? How long have you had her? Any new fish added to the tank recently?
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #3
OP
M

Mollieworld

Active Member
Member
Messages
154
Reaction score
60
Location
WA
Experience
4 years
I did a 25% water change since first posting this she seems a little better I will check water again in the morning and possibly do another 25%. Only new fish are 2 frys one of the mommas had. Otherwise no new outside fish. Only thing is new are the plants I put in there that will be coming out after new tank is cycled I got with the now cycling tank. I've had the 3 of em for about 6 months now and feeding them flakes and algae tabs about once or twice a week. I will try and get a video tomorrow if nothing has changed after water change etc. Thank you for suggestion...and maybe I'm not doing enough of a water change due to the new additions meaning babies.
 

CheshireKat

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,163
Reaction score
519
Location
California
Experience
More than 10 years
My mollies and platies do this when they're looking for food, as if it'll magically appear.
You feed them once or twice a week?

edit: wait, "chomping at the water not at the surface for air"...so swimming around in the water column and not at the surface?
What's the ammonia result?
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #5
OP
M

Mollieworld

Active Member
Member
Messages
154
Reaction score
60
Location
WA
Experience
4 years
Yes swimming in the water column and stretching her mouth out and chomping and almost flicking to one side like a dog does when chewing on something big or hard. After the water change she isn't chomping or stretching her mouth out as much. She still seems a bit off. Maybe stress with all the plants because of less swimming room, or maybe I need to change more water out due to the babies. I feed some flakes every morning, once a day and algae tabs about once to twice a week instead of flakes
 

CheshireKat

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,163
Reaction score
519
Location
California
Experience
More than 10 years
Mollieworld said:
Yes swimming in the water column and stretching her mouth out and chomping and almost flicking to one side like a dog does when chewing on something big or hard. After the water change she isn't chomping or stretching her mouth out as much. She still seems a bit off. Maybe stress with all the plants because of less swimming room, or maybe I need to change more water out due to the babies. I feed some flakes every morning, once a day and algae tabs about once to twice a week instead of flakes
Have you tested your ammonia levels?
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #7
OP
M

Mollieworld

Active Member
Member
Messages
154
Reaction score
60
Location
WA
Experience
4 years
I did, before the small water change, it was slightly higher then my normal tap. I use the strips so the color was barely dark enough to register .5. I will test again in the morning to allow water to adjust.
 

CheshireKat

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,163
Reaction score
519
Location
California
Experience
More than 10 years
She might be sick from the ammonia. Maybe she's extra sensitive to it and that's why the water change helped, because you removed it. You shouldn't have any ammonia though if it's fully cycled.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #9
OP
M

Mollieworld

Active Member
Member
Messages
154
Reaction score
60
Location
WA
Experience
4 years
I've had the tank for 5 yrs and have had 2 bettas in it, vacant for almost a yr, got the 3 mollies had a minI cycle with them, and have had them for 6 months. I would think it would be fully cycled by now, BUT I am a beginner and have been doing a lot of reading and watching Cory from aquarium co op (my local guy) and learning a lot more about cycling and currently cycling my new 40 gallon the proper way, with plants, fertilizer and media from my 10 gallon where my mollies currently are. Maybe I didnt fully cycle it? Oh I did also recently remove the charcoal filter out of my HOB and replaced it with another media sponge (again learning from Cory) so maybe this whole time I was having minI cycles due to the charcoal filter change outs?
 

CheshireKat

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,163
Reaction score
519
Location
California
Experience
More than 10 years
Mollieworld said:
I did also recently remove the charcoal filter out of my HOB and replaced it with another media sponge
Like a cartridge? If there was BB on it and you removed it, then yes, you probably did start a minI cycle, unfortunately.

You're lucky Aquarium Co-Op is local to you!
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #11
OP
M

Mollieworld

Active Member
Member
Messages
154
Reaction score
60
Location
WA
Experience
4 years
OH OK, ya that totally makes sense! I didn't even think about that until I typed it and it just clicked right now.

And yes I know I am lucky, I have yet to visit his store though, I just recently found him and OMG I am sooooo happy I did!!! I hope I can cycle my tank a bit faster then 2-3 months. When I did my water change I rinse my media in the new tank and dumped the old water into the new tank I hope it helps it. The water is definitely cloudy like dirty cloudy so I hope I'm getting there. I still don't have any nitrite or nitrate readings and a little darker reading on my ammonia but I haven't seen a spike yet. (I also just recently bought tetra stuff to test both tanks with, which I never did I would just have petsmart do it when I suspected things so really I have no idea what is going on with my tanks, again I have learned from Cory )


UPDATE: Big Momma seems to be sucking at the top of the water now as well as doing what she was yesterday. I can't post any of the short videos I have taken of her because of some error that says it doesn't allow an extension (the error is from this forum....whatever it means) anyway the readings of the tank this morning are:
Nitrates 40, nitrites 0, ammonia 0. The other mollies are just fine.

Should I do another water change?
 

New Threads

Similar Threads

Similar Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
247
Guests online
3,322
Total visitors
3,569

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom