Molly stock question.

1. jreesej Initiate Member

This may be a dumb question, but I was under the impression that is what this forum was for.....

I'm trying to plan ahead, I've read over and over for every male molly you should have 2 females.

Does that apply to different versions of Mollies? For instance if I had 3 black male mollies and let's say 6 female gold dust mollies, is that gonna work the same?

2. GoldenKillifish Member Member

Yes it's the same. No big deal.

3. Charles556 Member Member

Yep, it still applies. After all, they're all the same species, Poecilia sphenops.

4. Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

It still applies whether you have sphenops or latipinna or both.

5. Peacefantasy Well Known Member Member

Just prepare for lots of babies lol!

6. Whitehispanic Initiate Member

Babies and poo!

7. jreesej Initiate Member

lol yes I understand and somewhat dread the baby situation. But I'm torn between that and wanting mollies happy.

8. GoldenKillifish Member Member

Mollies can be happy with all one gender provided you don't have a jerk in the mix but I think mollies tend to be less aggro than some platies.

9. oldsalt777 Well Known Member Member

Hello jr...

Is this your first tank? Have you kept Mollies before? How large is your planned Molly tank? Have you fully researched the care of this livebearer? This isn't a good fish for a first timer to the water keeping hobby. These fish take large tanks, large, very frequent water changes and have pretty specific diet requirements if you want to keep them alive long term.

Old