Molly Questions

1. RainMaker13

RainMaker13 Member Member

Hi! I have 3 mollies, with my figure 8 puffer and 2 bumblebee gobies in a custom made 20 gallon long thats 3 feet long. 1 female dalmatian butterfly lyretail, and a male and female yellow ballon butterfly mollies.

The tank is densely planted and is at brackish, with an SG of 1.007.

Lately my female black molly has been nuzzling my males belly. It doesnt seem to be aggressive, but is it normal?

Also will different mollies crossbreed? For example will a sailfin mate with a balloon?

2. goplecos

goplecos Well Known Member Member

The female is fine and that behavior is uncommon but not a sign of poor health. Mollies will crossbreed and I think that the mutts actually are cuter than purebreds. Is the figure 8 puffer full grown? If he's still a baby then I would rehome the other fish and get another puffer. If he's full grown and is not bothering the other fish you could leave him. It's just that puffers usually don't do well with other fish.

3. OP
    OP
    RainMaker13

RainMaker13 Member Member

Yes he is full grown. :)

He nips at them a bit but they nip back. Idk. It never leaves visible fin tattering.
    The tank is densely planted and scaped so they never have constant line of sight.

4. goplecos

goplecos Well Known Member Member

OK, I've never kept puffers so I would ask someone else about the compatibility. I hoped I helped on the mollies though.