Molly pregnancy questions

1. benh84 Initiate Member

Hello, I'm a new tropical aquarium owner. My parents use to keep them when i was a kid and recently i made the decision to get a nice 20 UK gal tank.

Well anyway, I bought 2 female Dalmation mollys from the pet store, both looked well and not pregnant. On the first day in my tank both were fine with each other, on the second day, one of the mollys looked larger and seemed very territorial with the other molly, didnt care about any of the other fish. I noticed occasional odd behavior while swimming, she was slow apart from when chasing the other molly lol.
    They have been in the tank 1 and a half weeks, I cant see any gravid spot because of the mollys colourings, but after reading on here about behavior, i assume she is pregnant. Yesterday she would not leave the heater alone all day, the second i turned the light off, she left it and went down under one of my ornaments and sat there for a couple of hours. Could this be her looking for a safe place for the fry?
    So today I went to the pet store and got myself a breeder net and placed her in it, does anyone have any idea of how long it will take for her to have the fry? seeing as i have no idea how long she has been pregnant, is it ok to keep her in the breeding net for long?

Thanks for any help,
    Ben.

2. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

welcome to fishlore benh84!!

do you know about the nitrogen cycle? if not , heres the link https://www.fishlore.com/NitrogenCycle.htm its allot to read but its the total sucess or frustration of a fish tank ....

if you do know about the cycle, how was the tank cycled? whats your ammonia/nitrite/nitrate readings?

it could be a pregnancy issue (although you would see her gravid spot) or the fact the tank isnt cycled....if shes pregnant, she will get really squared off and not so round when its close to delivery time......

if you fill in your aquarium information a bit more, it might help us give more advice ...

good luck ben!

3. benh84 Initiate Member

Hey, thanks for the reply and welcome :)

Yes, I am aware about the nitrogen cycle, before adding any fish I ran the tank for over a week with plants, heating and filter etc as well as using stress zyme+ the water was also treated for chlorine before hand. I am currently using strip testers which i do plan on buying a better testing kit asap.

Current levels are,
    No3 25mg/l
    No2 1mg/l
    GH 16
    KH 15
    pH 7.6
    Cl2 0
    Im not sure what the current ammonia levels are but whenever ive added new fish so far i add an amonia neutraliser to help out.

Overall its only this one fish thats been behaving strange :( also her skin markings are quite dark so i have no idea if i can see the gravid spot or not lol, quite a pain. Her behavior has only got worse in the last 2 days, so ive seperated her from the other fish in a breeding net just in case, but she looks much 'squarer' than the other molly I have.

I also plan on doing a 25% water change and vacuming the gravel tommorow as i have a day off.

Ben

4. cherrybarbboi Member Member

hiya ben! welcome to fishlore! i think its very possible your mollies pregnant. i had a marble mollie (which has very similar markings tos a dalmnation mollie) and she had fry. just like you i couldnt see the gravid spot because of the colorings on her body. she did get bigger and squared off like shawnie mentioned. also, (im not sure because i was on vacation when she had the fry, i just found them when i got back) i dont think she would be looking for a place to have them because mollies eat their fry but its very possible that they find a place to have them, and then eat them. mollies are pregnant for 4-6 weeks. i hope that helps you. if you have any more questions just ask : )

5. Diggly Well Known Member Member

Stress zyme does not cycle a tank it hinders it as it does not contain the correct bacteria and the bacteria drowns.

I recommend daily water changes until your nitrites are 0, you also need an ammonia test kit as I am worried that you are getting a reading for nitrite, any ammonia or nitrite in the tank can be fatal to fish.