Molly or Platy fry

MissNoodle

Okay some day old fry... came from my 20 gallon tank with one female blue platy and two female balloon mollies. One male sailfin molly.
I don't know which molly dropped fry, but I know one did because there's at least ONE balloon molly fry in this mix. And I found fry half a day before my platy dropped hers.
One fry I'm still not sure about.

These are the girls...
Dumpling, the yellow balloon. It is around the time of the month she normally would drop fry... however no physical change in her appearance. Our sailfin molly could be the father of these.

20191103_071240.jpg

Truffle, the black balloon. No idea who the father of the babies would be.

20191027_064636.jpg

PilatI the platy... its a week too early to drop fry for her, but she did anyways this morning. I know this as her body went slI'm and her gravid spot turned pink like it does every time shes dropped fry last few months.

20191103_071018.jpg

So now the fun part is trying to figure out what fry is what...

Fry#1 I am sure is a balloon molly. Fat head and curvy spine visible. I shall name him/her Pug, because that scrunched up face looks like a pug.
Question is, who is your mom

20191119_203109.jpg

Fry#2 what are you? Edir: platy

20191119_203139.jpg

Fry#3 again, what are you

20191119_203405.jpg

Fry#4 with fry#2 what are you guys. Edit Platy

20191119_203312.jpg

lilirose

Unfortunately it's not going to be possible to tell the species of one-day-old fry. I had some "mystery fry" in my tank recently and it was a month before I could positively identify them!

Also, livebearers can carry sperm in their bodies for a long time, so the father could be any male fish they have come into contact with during their lifetime. So unfortunately you're never going to get beyond "could be the father" (as I don't think DNA testing is available for pet fish yet ).

MissNoodle

Unfortunately it's not going to be possible to tell the species of one-day-old fry. I had some "mystery fry" in my tank recently and it was a month before I could positively identify them!

Also, livebearers can carry sperm in their bodies for a long time, so the father could be any male fish they have come into contact with during their lifetime. So unfortunately you're never going to get beyond "could be the father" (as I don't think DNA testing is available for pet fish yet ).

Thanks lol
I knew they can store that and paternity isn't guaranteed, but both balloons came from tanks with only balloons, until I got them. So was thinking if any non balloon fry came from them, they could have been fathered by the sailfin boy they live with.

The slimmer ones aside from the little yellower one ended up showing they are blue platies. Their cheeks show blue iridescence in person which all of the blue platy fry ive had started with that from day one.

There's 5 this time around saved. Was just gonna keep the one... but I got the other 4 gravel vacuuming and didnt feel right putting them back to be tetra food. I'll probably keep the balloon molly myself and find homes for the other 4. Once theyre too big to be food ill move them to my 20 gallon with my cherry barbs and single molly to grow them out.

KeriMc

I've got 2 fry that are currently growing out; 3 dalmatian platies about 2 months old and 4 mollies about a month old.....my silly platies are about to drop again! I'm gonna have to re-home them if I find any alive. I've given up looking and letting nature take it's course. If I find then I will put them into the breeder boxes I have. Gotta love this fish hobby

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
cichlid4life
Replies
Views
JB92668
Replies
Views
Wanda2
Replies
Views