Molly Not Mating?? Question

Discussion in 'Breeding Fish' started by candle, Mar 15, 2010.

1. candleNew MemberMember

I have a black molly that I pretty sure is a female, I've had her for weeks and she is not mating with the male (he would chase her but she just didn't want to be bothered). I just put another male in there and its doesn't seem like he is interested in her either. Whats up with that? I excepted he to get pregnant by now but no signs of pregnancy. Anyone have any idea why? I attach a pic of her. :-\:-\

Attached Files:

2. Shawnie

ShawnieFishlore LegendMember

when you stock livebearers , you need 1 male to 3-4 fems...otherwise the males will hound/harrass her so bad, she could die....so id return the new male or go get 5-8 more fems if you have the room...then in time they will spawn ....you will be wondering what to do with all the babies very soon im sure :)

3. OP
    OP
    c

candleNew MemberMember

Yeah I have a batch of babies already, I have 2 10 gal tanks ready for more. Mama Molly looks like she is due soon. I will be separating females today.

4. Shawnie

ShawnieFishlore LegendMember

well if there are more males than females, then that would probably be why she isnt spawning (just answering your original post :) ) either way good luck with them!

5. OP
    OP
    c

candleNew MemberMember

there more females than males

6. wonton55912Valued MemberMember

maybe they dont like that female. this happened with my guppies. they were more intrested in my platy than the females. feed her live or freeze-dried foods and that will make them want to spawn.

7. bassbonediva

bassbonedivaFishlore VIPMember

My male platy completely ignores the females that are pregnant until right after they've dropped a batch of fry. So, it could be that she's pregnant, just not showing yet, which would explain why the male isn't interested. And like Shawnie said, more females is better. I have four females and one male (actually, technically five females since my oldest fry is a female, but she's not old enough to mate yet...should get some interesting babies out of her, though...she's a sunset coral dwarf and the only male is a dawn/parrot) and he is in seventh heaven and none of the girls gets harrassed.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice