molly not acting the same?

Discussion in 'Molly' started by ilike2pokypoky, Jul 13, 2015.

1. i

ilike2pokypoky New Member Member

i have a Platinum Lyretail Molly, black molly, red wag platy, and 9 fry in a breeder box in a 29 gallon tank. The tank is kept at a temperature of 80-82 degrees and is filtered. A few days ago my Platinum Lyretail Molly started acting strangely, she was less active, and keeps hiding in plants and only comes out when feeding time, but then goes back. The other fish are fine they are very active and also i am not sure which fish gave birth to the fry because they are all female(i think it was the Platinum Lyretail Molly because all of the fry are white). could she be sick or something?

2. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to fishlore!
    What are the water parameters?

3. OP
    OP
    i

i dont know

4. Anders247

I would get a test kit then.
    Make sure it's an API liquid test kit, as strips are inaccurate.

5. BornThisWayBettas

BornThisWayBettas Fishlore VIP Member

Welcome to Fish Lore!!!

I agree with Anders, your water parameters would be very helpful. But until you can get a test kit, you can get the water tested at somewhere like Petsmart, although I'm not sure whether or not they use test strips.

I'm not sure about the symptoms of a pregnant molly, but does she look like she might be preggo? Is she newer?

6. Anders247

Petsmart and petco usually uses strips.

7. BornThisWayBettas

At least it would be a rough idea.........

8. OP
    OP
    i

i got my water tested at petsmart and they said the ammonia and nitrates are slightly high and told me to do water changes more often and feed less. could this be the problem and if it is ,wouldnt all of my fish been effected

9. Anders247

If it was her who gave birth recently, then she may be weaker than the other fish and more affected by the bad water quality.

10. OP
    OP
    i

so would doing water changes more often and feeding less lower ammonia and nitrates

11. BornThisWayBettas

Yes, it should help with an ammonia and nitrate problem. BUT, you shouldn't be getting ammonia or nitrites at all if your tank is truly cycled. You'll only get some nitrates once the tank is cycled, but not through the roof on these either, though.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice