Molly Is Sick Please Help!!!

1. Megan1001 Initiate Member

My black molly is gasping at the top of tank, clamping his fins, his tail is becoming discolored as well as silver spots around his gills and his poop is white and chalky. His poop has been like this since I got him so I assumed it was normal. His diet is flakes, freeze dried blood worms, frozen blood worms, and frozen brine shrimp. He also gasped at the top of the tank but never to the extent he is now and also is constantly breathing heavy while swimming around and doing weird yawn things. There is a bubble wall so I don't think its from lack of oxygen. I gave him a salt dip and did a 25% water change. I haven't tested the water yet because I just did the water change and I am not sure if the results would be accurate. Could this be an internal parasite? Please help!

2. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

Do the test and post the results. Did you quarantine him? How long have you had him? Is he in the 10 gallon with your other fish?

3. Megan1001 Initiate Member

Ammonia - 0
    Nitrate - 10
    Nitrite - 0
    Hardness - hard
    Chlorine - 0
    Alkalinity - 20 ( how do I increase this?)
    pH - 7.6
    Nothing in the tank has changed drastically since the last time I tested. I've had him for about 5-6 months. He is in the 10 gallon and has not been quarantined. I just put him in a bucket to do a quick salt bath with water from the tank. This helped a little but I am still worried something might be wrong with him. All the other fish seem normal.

4. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

He could have a parasite. I would treat the entire tank though since they've all been exposed. Be sure to check that whatever you use won't harm the ADF or any invertebrates in your tank!

You may want to rehome the Molly though and choose something else, maybe a Platy. Mollies get too big for 10g tanks ;)

5. Megan1001 Initiate Member

I know I should have a bigger tank for him (didn't know when I bought him) but my parents won't let me get a bigger tank and I don't think there is anywhere near me that would take him. I'll see if I can find any good medicines for him but so far he's acting more normal after the salt. I'm going to treat the tank just in case though.

6. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

Depending on what he has salt may be enough. Keep an eye on all of them and be sure to do extra water changes!