Molly- Is She Even Pregnant?

Discussion in 'Breeding Fish' started by Brittany Rismiller, May 20, 2018.

1. Brittany Rismiller

Brittany RismillerNew MemberMember

I've been told both yes and no. I had her in a breeder box overnight and no fry yet. I took her out this morning even though I do think she's pregnant. I want to save some fry, I have an opaline gourami who I know will eat the fry and my serpae tetras probably will too. I do know it's a female by the anal fin. I think her birthing tube is sticking out, too. What do I need to do?! 20180519_125737.jpg20180520_111143.jpg20180519_125836.jpg20180520_110741.jpg

2. Sarah73

Sarah73Fishlore VIPMember

Take her out of the breeder box. It is stressing her enough without having to be trapped in a box.

3. mattgirl

mattgirlFishlore VIPMember

If you want to save all the babies maybe you could just move her over to the tank you are going to move the fry to after they are born. Just be sure to add some floating plants they can hide in until you remove her.

Their grow out tank would be a lot more comfortable for her than one of those breeder boxes and she would be more apt to go ahead and give birth. Lots of times females will either hold the babies or abort them because of the stress the box causes.

If you just want to save a few of them just leave her where she is most comfortable. Some of the fry will be smart enough to evade the other fish. They are very good at finding hiding places if the places are there for them to find.

4. OP
    OP
    Brittany Rismiller

Brittany RismillerNew MemberMember

I already took her out, about 3 hours ago

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice