Molly is droopy?

deem

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hi All.

Just would like to know what could be wrong with my molly?

I have a silver lyretail molly which I bought with two others about 3 months ago. She is a female, and the other molly's are another female and one male.

A couple days ago, after been perfectly healthy, she lost weight and her body is droopy. Also she is pinkish around her gills but is eating fine. All my other fish seem well.

Does anybody know what could be wrong with her?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Jrobber

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
How many fish do you currently have in this tank? Do you know what your water parameters are?

If her gills are pinkish/red, it could be ammonia poisoning due to overfeeding/overstocked.

Mollies are suggested to be kept in nothing smaller than a 20 gallon aquarium because they can reach 3-5". By your aquarium profile, you say 45 L, which translates to 11 gallons, which is too small especially if you have 3 Mollies, 3 Platies and a bunch of Guppies, and a Chinese Algae Eater?

By the way, a Chinese Algae Eater is recommend to be housed in tanks larger than 200 L and they reach sizes of 6" plus. So in short, you are overstocked and your Mollie is probably stressed.

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
What do you mean by "droopy"? What part of her is droopy? Can you post a pic? It's very possible that her "weight loss" is actually due to having dropped fry. With all those other fish in the tank it's doubtful that many, if any, didn't get eaten.

-Lisa

deem

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
She has had fry before, but only four weeks ago. It is her back half of her body that is drooping towards the ground.

I only have 5 guppies in the tank, and my algae eater is 5cm and has been for the last three years.

Fish store says my water is perfect. And I do weekly water changes, so I don't see how it could be ammonia.

Tried to put a pic, it is blurry but you can see the shape. She is the one on the left.

Attachments

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Often fish stores use test strips which aren't terribly accurate. I can attest to the inaccuracy of strips: my tap water has 1ppm of ammonia but strips registered as 0.

Anyway. . I'm no expert but that looks to be the result of some kind injury or disease. It might be a good idea to move her to a hospital tank to keep an eye on her.

-Lisa

deem

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Update

Hi,

My molly is still alive, just hanging in there.
I have quarantined her. She is very skinny and I caught a glimpse of red thread like worms in her anus. She is not swimming at all and just lies at the bottom. No other fish seem to be infected, as this has been going on for a few months and the other fish are doing great.

Anyone have a suggestion what it could be now?

Thanks

firemouthfreak

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hi,

My molly is still alive, just hanging in there.
I have quarantined her. She is very skinny and I caught a glimpse of red thread like worms in her anus. She is not swimming at all and just lies at the bottom. No other fish seem to be infected, as this has been going on for a few months and the other fish are doing great.

Anyone have a suggestion what it could be now?

Thanks
It could possibly be a parasite?

deem

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Yes, I am hoping it is not fish Tb but it should not be because they are worms. Hopefully I can treat them.

Thanks

deem

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Just finished looking on the net for info. I think it is Callamanus worms. Outcome does not look good

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom