Molly is bent!

Danny

Reaction score
No, I'm not kidding. It's tail makes an almost 90 degree turn past the dorsal fin. At times, the very end of the tail turns back into the more normal direction.

It's eating fine and at times, the tail will straighten, but most of the time it has this odd, and seemly painful, bend!

Details:
6.6 gal bookshelf tank. Three weeks old. Following bad Petco advice, it's killed every fish but this one (we put fish in the first day). Besides this one white Molly, the tank is home to 6 or 8 baby guppies who were born in the tank. Their mother died right after. Regular ammonia tests done and they have been coming up all lovely yellow.

Help?

Stradius011

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Maybe it was deformed when it was born.

dmcl1

Reaction score
I have a similar situation with one of the fish in our tank. Within a week after purchasing, one of our long fin gold skirt tetra began to show hiding and twitching behaviors and its tail began to "droop", so that now it is clearly bent downward, although perhaps not to the degree that you describe.

This occurred before the tank was fully cycled (although I did work hard to keep the tank "liveable" with daily water changes until the cycling completed). That was probably 3 weeks ago and she/he is still hanging on, but perhaps not very happily I'm afraid. We did lose one other gold skirt tetra a few weeks after this (although that one *never* looked as healthy as the other two and it is the only fish in the tank that didn't make it.)

Not sure if any of that really helps other than being anecdotal.

lokky.funky

Valued Member
Reaction score
Hi dmcl1

One of our members in the forum have said that an erect dorsal fin is a sign of good health. So something must be wrong with your molly. Keep an eye on the ammonia/nitrite/nitrate levels.

Hope for the best..

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom