Help Molly Is Acting Weird

Status
Not open for further replies.

miss.mikn

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi all, I woke up this morning and went to check on my fish but when I look at one of my mollies, she was sitting very low to the ground on the gravel and hardly moving. She did eventually move but she was still on the gravel, like she was dragging herself and she couldn't keep herself swimming higher than that. She seems perfectly healthy otherwise and none of the other fish are acting out of the ordinary. She doesn't look pregnant to me but I could be wrong. I've put a picture of her and how she was swimming this morning if that helps at all. All help is appreciated, I don't want a dead molly!

Attachments

Momgoose56

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hi all, I woke up this morning and went to check on my fish but when I look at one of my mollies, she was sitting very low to the ground on the gravel and hardly moving. She did eventually move but she was still on the gravel, like she was dragging herself and she couldn't keep herself swimming higher than that. She seems perfectly healthy otherwise and none of the other fish are acting out of the ordinary. She doesn't look pregnant to me but I could be wrong. I've put a picture of her and how she was swimming this morning if that helps at all. All help is appreciated, I don't want a dead molly!
What are your water parameters? Have you ever cycled your tank? What ever happened with your Guppy that you thought was weird because it wasn't moving much?
Fish do sleep. If they're not moving much, and they're not sick, they're probably sleeping.

miss.mikn

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
What are your water parameters? Have you ever cycled your tank? What ever happened with your Guppy that you thought was weird because it wasn't moving much?
Fish do sleep. If they're not moving much, and they're not sick, they're probably sleeping.
I'd have to check the water parameters when I'm home but if I remember correctly, they all read okay. The guppy still acts a little strange off and on but for the most part swims about the tank normally. She'll back herself into corners sometimes but not for long periods of time like she was. I think she just liked to hang out there. We did cycle the tank before we put the fish in but I think that's it.

I'm wondering if it could be that when we cleaned it last, we may have removed too much of the good bacteria in the tank? We did the water change, and we removed the cave to clean it (it was super dirty), and scrubbed the walls. Could it be that she is just missing some of the good bacteria? I also have a plant that I think is dying; when I get home, I plan on taking it out of the tank since I think it's making my ammonia levels higher than they should be.

Momgoose56

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I'd have to check the water parameters when I'm home but if I remember correctly, they all read okay. The guppy still acts a little strange off and on but for the most part swims about the tank normally. She'll back herself into corners sometimes but not for long periods of time like she was. I think she just liked to hang out there. We did cycle the tank before we put the fish in but I think that's it.

I'm wondering if it could be that when we cleaned it last, we may have removed too much of the good bacteria in the tank? We did the water change, and we removed the cave to clean it (it was super dirty), and scrubbed the walls. Could it be that she is just missing some of the good bacteria? I also have a plant that I think is dying; when I get home, I plan on taking it out of the tank since I think it's making my ammonia levels higher than they should be.
Can't know if tank is off until you check your water params when you get home, then we can go from there.

miss.mikn

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Can't know if tank is off until you check your water params when you get home, then we can go from there.
It'll be a couple hours but I'll let you know! When I was home a couple hours ago, she was still lethargic but not on the gravel as much anymore. Thank you so much for your help!

miss.mikn

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Okay, so, I woke up this morning and she had died. Last night when I got home, I did do a 25% water change and removed a plant that I think may have been causing some issues as well (it wasn't doing so great anyways). I checked the parameters this morning and they are GH: 180 ppm, KH: 150 ppm, pH: 7.5, Nitrite and Nitrate: 0 I noticed that my test strips don't test for ammonia for whatever reason and I'm honestly thinking that I have high levels of ammonia and that's why she died...

Momgoose56

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Okay, so, I woke up this morning and she had died. Last night when I got home, I did do a 25% water change and removed a plant that I think may have been causing some issues as well (it wasn't doing so great anyways). I checked the parameters this morning and they are GH: 180 ppm, KH: 150 ppm, pH: 7.5, Nitrite and Nitrate: 0 I noticed that my test strips don't test for ammonia for whatever reason and I'm honestly thinking that I have high levels of ammonia and that's why she died...
Pretty sure that's probably it. Your tank isn't cycled. I'd do an 80% water change and get an ammonia test kit. Better yet, I'd get an API Master test kit-
the strips are not very accurate-
You're going to need a bottle of Seachem Prime to cycle your tank with fish in it. Do Not buy anything that says it "removes" ammonia. You NEED a little ammonia in the
tank. Seachem Prime will help take care of that. Don't scrub or clean anything, don't wash gravel, don't change or rinse your filter media-just change the water.
Then read ALL of this
Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle
Then read this:

Those pretty much sum up the extreme importance of cycling and how to do it with fish in the tank-it's stuff you need to know-
After you have all the stuff you need to do a fish-in cycling, we can help you through it.

miss.mikn

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Pretty sure that's probably it. Your tank isn't cycled. I'd do an 80% water change and get an ammonia test kit. Better yet, I'd get an API Master test kit-
the strips are not very accurate-
You're going to need a bottle of Seachem Prime to cycle your tank with fish in it. Do Not buy anything that says it "removes" ammonia. You NEED a little ammonia in the
tank. Seachem Prime will help take care of that. Don't scrub or clean anything, don't wash gravel, don't change or rinse your filter media-just change the water.
Then read ALL of this
Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle
Then read this:

Those pretty much sum up the extreme importance of cycling and how to do it with fish in the tank-it's stuff you need to know-
After you have all the stuff you need to do a fish-in cycling, we can help you through it.
Thank you so much! I have planned on getting the API Master Test Kit for a little while anyways because I've seen it recommended here so often so I'll probably do it today or tomorrow.

As for the other fish, wouldn't high levels of ammonia be affecting the other fish as well? None of them have seemed to be acting out of the ordinary.

How would I cycle the tank with fish in it? I will start the fish-in cycle as soon as I get the master test kit and the Seachem Prime.

Momgoose56

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Thank you so much! I have planned on getting the API Master Test Kit for a little while anyways because I've seen it recommended here so often so I'll probably do it today or tomorrow.

As for the other fish, wouldn't high levels of ammonia be affecting the other fish as well? None of them have seemed to be acting out of the ordinary.

How would I cycle the tank with fish in it? I will start the fish-in cycle as soon as I get the master test kit and the Seachem Prime.
If your ammonia IS high, your fish will eventually become sick. We can help you with the fish-in cycling when you're ready.

miss.mikn

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
If your ammonia IS high, your fish will eventually become sick. We can help you with the fish-in cycling when you're ready.
I have everything that I'll need to do the fish in cycle. How would I do it?

Momgoose56

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Did you actually read all the stuff about the Nitrogen Cycle on the links I provided for you 4 or 5 posts above?
First test your water for ammonia, nitrites and nitrates.
Post it here.
Then do water changes to get ammonia down to 1 ppm.
Then dose tank with the Seachem Prime per instructions on the bottle. How many ounces or ml is the bottle of Prime that you bought?

miss.mikn

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Did you actually read all the stuff about the Nitrogen Cycle on the links I provided for you 4 or 5 posts above?
First test your water for ammonia, nitrites and nitrates.
Post it here.
Then do water changes to get ammonia down to 1 ppm.
Then dose tank with the Seachem Prime per instructions on the bottle. How many ounces or ml is the bottle of Prime that you bought?
So, I tested my waters ammonia first and it was at 8 ppm (or possibly higher but the test only reads as high as 8 ppm) so I immediately did the 80% water change and got my ammonia down to about .75 ppm.

The bottle of seachem prime I bought is 100ml and I used the seachem prime as a water conditioner as well to condition the new water

Momgoose56

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
So, I tested my waters ammonia first and it was at 8 ppm (or possibly higher but the test only reads as high as 8 ppm) so I immediately did the 80% water change and got my ammonia down to about .75 ppm.
The bottle of seachem prime I bought is 100ml and I used the seachem prime as a water conditioner as well to condition the new water
Okay. Now, you could get some Tetra Safe start and dump that in your tank to start the bacteria growing sooner. Get it now but wait a couple days until your ammonia is back up to 1 ppm then put it in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom