molly is acting strange

jallshouse

Reaction score
hI all!!.....my molly is acting very weird, this morning until about 4:30 he was fine and now he is just laying at the bottom of the tank as if he is dieing :'( if I walk up to the tank where he is laying he gets more active nad swims around as if normal and ends up back where he started. I just looked closer at him to see if I could see anything that stood out and noticed his left eye is buldging way out from his body, and the other eye is normal. I am pretty sure he is dieing, but everyone else seems fine in the tank. I wanted to know if this would ring a bell to anyone on what the cause may be? I am just sick over this, he is my absolute favorite and if he passes he will be the first :'( :'( :'(

Gunnie

Well Known
Reaction score
Sounds like your molly has pop eye.  Go to the freshwater fish disease section here on FishLore for medication recommendations.

https://www.fishlore.com/Disease.htm

Here are some other thoughts from a site I also trust:

Pop-Eye (Exophthalmia)

Pop-eye may not be caused by infection and there are various causes.
Easily identified by the protrusion of one or both eyes.
It is commonly caused by excess gas in the system brought about by
Super saturation of gas in high pressure water mains.
It can also be associated with Dropsy or Ichthyosporidium.
Look for bubbles of gas in the eyes, this indicates the bends, as does nervous upset, distress or just odd movements.
If these signs are obvious then lower the temperature slowly to increase solubility of the gas (usually nitrogen) reduce aeration and wait to see if there is any improvement.
In marine aquaria Copper poisoning can be one of the causes.
Pop eye can also be caused by hormonal imbalance for which there is no cure.

OP
J

jallshouse

Reaction score
thanks gunnie!! could my air stone have caused this, that is kinda what I took from the attached article you gave me? also. it says to lower the temp slowly, what is the lowest temp that is safe for the fish....from what I read it shouldnt go much below 76?

Gunnie

Well Known
Reaction score
I don't think the airstone is the problem. It sounds like it's not from anything you've done. And I agree with you. I don't think I'd lower the temp. below 75. Butterfly might know more about that.

OP
J

jallshouse

Reaction score
my molly seems better today, but the eye is the same. he is acting normal from what I can tell. can my other fish catch pop eye, and can it get better on its own?

New Threads