molly is acting strange

1. jallshouse Initiate Member

hi all!!.....my molly is acting very weird, this morning until about 4:30 he was fine and now he is just laying at the bottom of the tank as if he is dieing :'( if i walk up to the tank where he is laying he gets more active nad swims around as if normal and ends up back where he started. i just looked closer at him to see if i could see anything that stood out and noticed his left eye is buldging way out from his body, and the other eye is normal. i am pretty sure he is dieing, but everyone else seems fine in the tank. i wanted to know if this would ring a bell to anyone on what the cause may be? i am just sick over this, he is my absolute favorite and if he passes he will be the first :'( :'( :'(

2. Gunnie Well Known Member Member

Sounds like your molly has pop eye.  Go to the freshwater fish disease section here on FishLore for medication recommendations.

https://www.fishlore.com/Disease.htm

Here are some other thoughts from a site I also trust:

3. jallshouse Initiate Member

thanks gunnie!! could my air stone have caused this, that is kinda what i took from the attached article you gave me? also. it says to lower the temp slowly, what is the lowest temp that is safe for the fish....from what i read it shouldnt go much below 76?

4. Gunnie Well Known Member Member

I don't think the airstone is the problem. It sounds like it's not from anything you've done. And I agree with you. I don't think I'd lower the temp. below 75. Butterfly might know more about that. ;)

5. jallshouse Initiate Member

my molly seems better today, but the eye is the same. he is acting normal from what i can tell. can my other fish catch pop eye, and can it get better on its own?