Molly Is A Food Bully

ASHLEY R COOK

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have 1 male and 3 females. They all get along great until I drop algea pellets and the search begins. My Dalmatian Molly won't let any other Molly eat or even search the gravel. She doesn't hurt them but it gets more and more aggitated by the end. Any suggestions?
I just traded my lyrtail Dalmatian for doing the same thing! Argh

ASHLEY R COOK

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
They are tiny 3mm pellets and I drop 3 or 4. She just won't let the search the gravel. I'm gonna try to break up more line of sight. They get along very well when there is no food lol

Mcasella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
ASHLEY R COOK said:
They are tiny 3mm pellets and I drop 3 or 4. She just won't let the search the gravel. I'm gonna try to break up more line of sight. They get along very well when there is no food lol
Are you intending to feed them the pellets or are they for something else? With only a few being dropped unless you are hand feeding the faster/most aggressive eater is going to be the one to get the food.

Fashooga

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Do another feeding. Do one when the lights are out. That might help.

Or you can over feed. One fish can’t finish the entire meal...so that might allow you to get the others fed.

You may need to do a larger water change if you this.

Rick bose

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Mcasella said:
Are you intending to feed them the pellets or are they for something else? With only a few being dropped unless you are hand feeding the faster/most aggressive eater is going to be the one to get the food.
yeah I agree. Why are you giving only such small amount of sinking food? Surely the aggressive one is gonna get all of the food most of the times. Plus mollies are not bottom feeders like cories or plecos. They do bottom feed but they like floating pellets or flakes more. Trust me I have mollies, platys and swordtails. They are not bottom feeders exactly.I feed them floating pellets but I give sinking food in my tank too for my cories but I have rarely seen the mollies going after the sinking pellets. This shows that mollies like floating foods more. Plus Floating food will spread all over your tank, won't settle at a particular area and that way all your mollies can have the chance to get the food. This will limit the aggression of the bullying molly for food too.

ASHLEY R COOK

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Rick bose said:
yeah I agree. Why are you giving only such small amount of sinking food? Surely the aggressive one is gonna get all of the food most of the times. Plus mollies are not bottom feeders like cories or plecos. They do bottom feed but they like floating pellets or flakes more. Trust me I have mollies, platys and swordtails. They are not bottom feeders exactly.I feed them floating pellets but I give sinking food in my tank too for my cories but I have rarely seen the mollies going after the sinking pellets. This shows that mollies like floating foods more. Plus Floating food will spread all over your tank, won't settle at a particular area and that way all your mollies can have the chance to get the food. This will limit the aggression of the bullying molly for food too.
They get flakes in the morning and at night sinking pellets or I mix it up with seaweed or frozen mix or veggies.
I was only dropping a few bc it takes so long to get eaten and I didn't want to overfeed

ASHLEY R COOK

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Rick bose said:
Whats a good floating pellet? I thought I bought some but they sink...

ASHLEY R COOK

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Also, my mollies are always pecking at the bottom. Does this mean I'm not feeding enough?
I give them 3 good pinches(I let them eat each pinch before the next) for 4 mollies and one dwarf gourami.
I just now tried a 4th pinch and it sat there awhile while just one Molly and the DG pecked at it and the other mollies searched the bottom.
Besides the "stomach is as big as their eye" visual and what they can eat in a few mintues, any other ways to know how much to feed?

Mcasella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
ASHLEY R COOK said:
Also, my mollies are always pecking at the bottom. Does this mean I'm not feeding enough?
I give them 3 good pinches(I let them eat each pinch before the next) for 4 mollies and one dwarf gourami.
I just now tried a 4th pinch and it sat there awhile while just one Molly and the DG pecked at it and the other mollies searched the bottom.
Besides the "stomach is as big as their eye" visual and what they can eat in a few mintues, any other ways to know how much to feed?
Fish will hunt for food constantly, overfeeding them is not a good idea because it can cause issues later (like bloat over even obesity).
Feed them once a day whatever they can eat in a short period of time (in a tank of 40+ guppies i do a pinch, then a second pinch a little while later to make sure most have gotten food, they can hunt for algae and other things in the heavily planted tank without me having to worry about them needing more food from me, i feed them 4-5 times a week).
Fish will always beg for more food even if you just fed them.
Bottom pellets don't hurt.

Rick bose

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
ASHLEY R COOK said:
Whats a good floating pellet? I thought I bought some but they sink...
See, I live in India. So the pellets of the company that I feed my fishes you may not find that in your area. Any tropical flakes is a good fish food. I mix 3 kinds of pellets together and feed my fishes since all of my fishes are omnivores. One pellet is spirulina pellet that is completely herbivorous and the another pellet contains white fish meal, corn meal, yeast, wheat flour with many vitamins and minerals and the other pellet has shrimp by product, fish derivatives, corn protein meal, etc. I unpack the pellet containers and mix them well in a big container in equal ratio and feed my fish with sinking foods too for the cories.

If your pellets sink then are not floating pellets, they are sinking pellets for bottom feeders. Ask you local pet shop to give you good floating pellets that won't sink. Tropical flakes for fish are a good option too. Though I mix 3 kinds of food since they are cheaper than buying a pellet that has them all, but you can get a complete food for fish at fish stores that has all the necessary ingredients for your fish and that floats too. Go to your local pet shop and ask a complete fish food for mollies that will float.

Lastly to conclude, I agree that all fish search food at the bottom no matter how much you feed them and you should not overfeed them. Mollies will eat sinking pellets too but personally I have experienced that they like floating pellets more. Plus for sinking pellets the fish has to search for food and one might end up eating other's share. For floating pellets they don't have to search for food. But remember not to overfeed your fish. You must give them food that they can consume within 4-5 mins. I follow this rule but you can do that with floating pellets only, you can't do that with sinking pellets as you won't have idea when they are finishing the food. Most fishes search for food leftovers at the bottom even after they are fed, so don't worry about that. It's just their nature.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom