Molly Injury

1. Ed204

Ed204 Fishlore VIP Member

Hi Everyone,
    I just rescued two baby mollies a couple days ago. I've noticed one of them has this white bump on his body.

I've also noticed that the other molly likes to get agressive with it sometimes. I'm guessing it's an injury but if it's something else please let me know.

What should I do to prevent it getting worse? I have Paraguard on hand FYI.

@CindiL Any Ideas at all?

Attached Files:

2. a

ahmad.echols Valued Member Member

What are your ammonia and nitrite levels. I would do a fifty percent water change and then add some aquarium salt. If that doesn't seem to help then use the medication.

3. California L33

California L33 Well Known Member Member

I agree with @ahmad.echols -check water parameters, change water, aquarium salt (not table salt) if needed, and save the big guns for last. If one is rough with the injured fish you'll need to separate them, at least until it's strong enough to fend for itself.

4. OP
    OP
    Ed204

Thanks for the replies guys.
    Today I'm gonna do a 50% water change because I've already planned that. My Parameters are Ammonia 0.00ppm 0.00ppm Nitrite and 7ppm Nitrate, so the parameters are not a problem.

However, I don't think I can get Aquarium salt now, it's a weekday and I'm quite busy. I'll probably only be able to get it on the weekend. So can I just use Paraguard?

So I'll just make sure to do frequent water changes, monitor the parameters and keep the water conditions pristine.

However, it's only a injury right? Nothing too bad.

5. a

It's up to you at this point but sometimes medications can be harsh and if the molly is fragile already it could do more harm than good. But if you really can't get any salt then do what you gotta do.

6. OP
    OP
    Ed204

If I'm able to get Salt, what should the dosing be? It's a 5 gallon tank. Also, I've already dosed Prime into the water will that be okay?

7. a

It should be fine. I have API aquarium salt and it says to put in one rounded tablespoon for every 5 us gallons or half a teaspoon for every us gallon of aquarium water

8. OP
    OP
    Ed204

So I just put half a teaspoon for EVERY gallon? So I'll have to put 2 and a half tablespoons correct?

Is it okay if I put the bully fish in there too? Because he's in a breeder box to seperate them.

9. a

No it says one tablespoon for five gallons

Depends on the salt also

I have API brand

10. OP
    OP
    Ed204

How about just normal aquarium salt .

11. a

I would think its the same but i dont wanna tell you wrong . Thats y i said the brand i use

12. OP
    OP
    Ed204

Not gonna happen I don't have API here in Indonesia

13. a

Oh well i dont know lol