Molly had babies...

1. Flowingfins Fishlore VIP Member

My first fish in my new 100 gal were mollies that I got yesterday. I looked at my tank and saw a little fish, and thought this cant be right. I looked again and saw 2 more I then realized my dalmatian molly was having fry. All my tanks have bigger fish and I cant put them with my guppy fry because they will get mixed up. I have 4 in a solo cup at the moment and am caching more. Where can I put them I don't want them to get eaten.
    Thank you in advance!

2. smee82 Well Known Member Member

personally I would just leave them in the tank otherwise you will be over run.

3. Flowingfins Fishlore VIP Member

I am aware of that. I breed guppies so I am used to the fry and re-homing them. I want to keep these little guys though.

4. Junne Fishlore Legend Member

You might want to get a breeder basket if you can. They are made of mesh and can hang over the inside edge of your tank.

This may not help you tonight but something to think about if you can get to a pet store tomorrow. Good luck

5. AquaticBrandon Well Known Member Member

You can keep the babies in the tank if there's a lot of places for them to hide in. If not, you can put them in a seperate tank until they get big enough

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

6. Flowingfins Fishlore VIP Member

thanks Junne I do have breeder basket. don't know why I didn't think of that:;smack. All 4 are now safe and sound in a breeder basket!

7. Junne Fishlore Legend Member

Great to hear!

I had Zebra danio fry a few weeks ago and I spend almost a week trying to catch them with a clear plastic cup. I could barely see them let alone try and catch them! :)
    I almost used my breeder basket as a huge "net" :;laughing
    Those things come in handy for a lot of different things!

8. Flowingfins Fishlore VIP Member

Yes they do! I have 2 more in the basket and some are hiding in the rocks. I am overwhelmed with fry right now. I have a bunch in my breeder tank I need to catch, and I got two female guppies when I got the mollies and one of them had her fry last night...