Molly going from black to white

spark300

First, Hi....

I was just searching on Google and found this post .

it seems my Molly has the same symptoms but has been going on now for over a year getting worst every week. its in a tank with just Terras, cleaned once a week, very well looked after, not overloaded.

symptoms...
1) spine started to bend
2) added salt and tea tree oil, his symptoms got better
3) missed salt for a few weeks, spine bent more, swimming all over the place
4) still eating but swimming is bad often rests on plants
5) every time I add salt he picks up for a few days, at the start even weeks
5) its been going on like this for almost a year now...

now the molly has started to turn white in colour, he swims but only for short times then rests on a plant he looks like more and more of his body is not working, he is still eating

there have been another death in the tank before the molly started showing any signs. My Fighting Fish had something strange, which no one could explain, even a expert forum I went on has never seen anthing like it when I posted the pics....he started with a lump in his belly, it got bigger and bigger over many months, after which it was so big it was the size of a small ping pong ball, yet he was eating, and acting normal, he was pooing no blockage. until around 6 months his belly exploded in the tank, he was still alive with his insides just hanging out, he refused to die, I had to take him out to end it, so sad.

Anyhow, maybe its all connected, but my molly is now to the point where its almost white (he stared black) adding salt and tea tree oil seems only seems to pick him up for a few hours now, but I have had to use more and more I don't think I should carry on I just don't want to kill another fish like that, nothing seems humane!

I am willing to try agining else anyone have any ideas to what his could be?

TFA101

WELCOME TO FISHLORE

could you post a picture? if it is neon tetra disease, there is no known cure for it, and your molly will most likely have to ride it out.

Richard

The bent spine on your Molly sounds like a vitamin deficiency problem, easily rectified with the addition of liquid vitamins for fish and a more varied diet.. the colour change however, has me stumped!

Sorry to hear of what's happening to your Betta.. I have seen mysterious cysts appear on Fighters before, but as to what happened to yours, I can only guess at some kind of external parasite, for which there are treatments available.

cognizant

I had a rosy barb that started out all bright and rosy and slowly over time started to fade in color until he was white. I had no idea what the problem was, I tried everything. New food, more water changes, medications, eventually the poor thing passed away, but he survived for about 8-10 months. He was always swimming though and never *looked* sick, his color just faded away.

Good luck, hope you can figure this out!

Similar Aquarium Threads

• taf2778
  • Molly
Replies
Views
Ouse
  • squish123
  • Molly
Replies
Views
AquaticQueen
65 Gallon Tank Molly shaking his head