Molly fry - what to do next? - Page 4

Rythmyc

Thanks! I never leave much. Only a flake or 2 and they seem barely too big for him to swallow. The ones I left were gone when I checked on him. So he's definitely nibbling on them

ilikepies

My Molly just gave birth and i’m worried about the fry. I do not plan on giving the fry attention with specific foods and whatnot but I want to know if they will survive without a specific baby fish diet. I’m just curious if they will grow or pass away. Thanks!

mazz55

Do you have a floating fry box? I would crush up flakes super fine and put them in the fry box then remove the uneaten stuff daily. Also if you have some bug bites food you can do the same as well. 5 out of the 9 red lyretail swordtail fry I had survived doing this.

mazz55

Also 2 of the fry wiggled through the box and went MIA so you gotta be aware of that aspect as well

CoryBoi

I do not put any fry in boxes, they do better in the tank. they will find enough food, but just to be safe feed more ground up flakes or something small for them.

ilikepies

I do not put any fry in boxes, they do better in the tank. they will find enough food, but just to be safe feed more ground up flakes or something small for them.
Thanks for the tips I just hope the fry get to the flake food before my other fish do haha. My bigger fish are quite ravenous!

mazz55

My swordtail parents ate a lot of the fry it would have been nice to let them just free roam indeed

wishuponafish

I found that fry grow faster when they roam free. I drop algae wafers in the tank, which the adults toss around and make a mess of, and the fry pick up the little particles that come off. Afterwards, they'll pick at the bits that collected on the sponge filter.

Darm

I found that fry grow faster when they roam free. I drop algae wafers in the tank, which the adults toss around and make a mess of, and the fry pick up the little particles that come off. Afterwards, they'll pick at the bits that collected on the sponge filter.
As soon as I let my fry free swim they nearly doubled in size. I'll never put then in a breeder again

aamaral98

So I had 1 male and 1 female molly. They wouldn't stop breeding so ive since separated them and the female recently died. I have 20-30 fry almost 3 months old. I heard if there is an alpha male in the tank all of the other fry can still appear to be females. I thought taking the adult male out might affect this. But they all still look female. Is it too soon to tell? Could having 2 adult male guppies in the tank with the fry cause this due to the "alpha thing" thanks in advance

AcornTheBetta

So I had 1 male and 1 female molly. They wouldn't stop breeding so ive since separated them and the female recently died. I have 20-30 fry almost 3 months old. I heard if there is an alpha male in the tank all of the other fry can still appear to be females. I thought taking the adult male out might affect this. But they all still look female. Is it too soon to tell? Could having 2 adult male guppies in the tank with the fry cause this due to the "alpha thing" thanks in advance
I'm not sure I've ever heard of this alpha thing... emeraldking?

smee82

You can have late maturing males but if their already 3+months old theres a good chance any females are already holding sperm.

emeraldking

Well, the alpha thing as you call it, is something that can happen within a group. But mollies can take their time to show the real sex. I wouldn't worry too much about it. Overhere I do have males that have shown the male characteristics even after 6 months of age.

Emilsh

Hi everyone my I had two mollies that gave birth, the fry are about 4 months old now but they’ve seemed to stop growing. I do water changes every week, water temp is 78, there’s 20 of them in a 20 gallon it’s filtered and I feed them algae pellets, blood worms and live brine shrimp if anyone has any suggestions that would be great!

LanternFish

Suggestions for what? If nothing in particular, maybe upgrade the tank or sell some. If you want more suggestions/don't want to upgrade the tank or sell some, maybe send pictures of your aquarium or give more details on the fish tanks like decoration, substrate, etc.

JamesVader

Sometimes they can seem like they stay the same size for weeks and then one day you look in and they are huge! What I would do is maybe take a picture once a week so you can look back and see their growth. It seems like you are feeding them plenty and you got a great setup

Emilsh

Just any suggestions on how I could get them to grow some more they are in a bare bottom tank with some plants for hiding I am looking for a way to sell them but because of covid most pet stores won’t take them
Suggestions for what? If nothing in particular, maybe upgrade the tank or sell some. If you want more suggestions/don't want to upgrade the tank or sell some, maybe send pictures of your aquarium or give more details on the fish tanks like decoration, substrate, etc.
If anyone had any suggestions with getting them to start growing again this is my first time raising molly fry so I’m not sure if it’s normal or not for them to stop growing for a little bit I am looking into giving them to my LFS but because of covid they aren’t taking in new fish as for a bigger fish tank my next size up is a 55 gallon and I’m concerned if I put them in there they won’t be able to find food. The tank they’re in is a 20 gallon bare bottom with live floating plants and some anubius to hide in.

LanternFish

I have two options. 1 - Maybe separate them in groups in smaller tanks? They are usually searching for food so they probably will be able to find food. 2 - Since there are so many, you could always hide some around like how goby owners hide food in substrate. You could always hide them around plants and if you want, add smooth rocks or a decoration to hide them in. I would try what JamesVader suggested.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
PascalKrypt
Replies
Views
fishbreeeder
Replies
Views
trinity28
  • Question
Replies