molly fry under developed????? Question

Discussion in 'Molly' started by red020804, Apr 1, 2010.

1. red020804

red020804 Valued Member Member

sorry but i have a quick question. i'm new to fish and over a week and a half ago we brought home two female Cremecicle Lyretail Mollies. the next morning one of them had some fry. big surprise!!! anyway we saved 6 of them and currently they are in a 1.5 gallon tank till they get bigger then we will move them to a 10 gallon tank untill hopefully they are sold. two of the fry just kinda lay at the bottom of the tank they dont really swim up. they wait for the food to come down to eat. they are almost white in color and there eyes are all black. today i noticed one of them hopping around like a bunny rabbit. was funny to watch but im still concerned. it was like it couldnt quite keep its self afloat I guess you could say. im wondering is it possible because of the stress from moving from the tank at the store to our tank that she had some fry not fully developed? if so will they survive. i mean they were born march 21st and are still alive so hopefully they live. what do you guys think?

anyone?

:animal0068:I've merged your posts since they were back to back with no response.
    Thanks!
    Ken

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 2, 2010
  2. bassbonediva

bassbonediva Fishlore VIP Member

They won't develop in a small tank like a 1.5gal. I had a couple of platy fry in a 1gal for while (unheated and unfiltered) and they topped out at about 1". I moved them to my 55gal (heated and filtered) and the smaller one got eaten, but the bigger on has more than doubled in size in the two weeks she's been in there.

Is the tank they're in heated and filtered? If it isn't, they're probably suffering from ammonia poisoning (unless you're doing daily water changes). I would put them in the 10gal now, get it heated and get it filtered. Your fry will have a better chance of surviving that way. Also, put some live plants in the tank, like hornwort or java moss (I prefer hornwort...my fry LOVE hiding in the hornwort). It'll help keep your water parameters steady and it'll make your fry feel safer because they'll have a nice place to hide.

3. OP
    OP
    red020804

red020804 Valued Member Member

the tank isnt heated but it is filtered. the 10 gallon isnt cycled yet and we are already having issues with nitrites and ammonia in the 20 gallon the other fish are living in because it wasnt cycled before we put them in there. We didnt know anything about the nitrogen cycle when we put them in there. we are concerned about cleaning the tank because the tank is so small and we dont want to accidentally suck the fry out in the process. besides putting them in the uncycled tank any suggestions? also i tested the water from the fry tank and the ammonia is 0.5 but the rest is okay so far

4. jetajockey

jetajockey Fishlore VIP Member

any amount of ammonia is bad for them, especially for babies. just use some air tubing to siphon some of the old water and gunk out of it, and keep a close eye that you don't suck any of them up. definitely do a daily water change and get something like prime or amquel+ to help keep the fish safe in between water changes.

5. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning

Good suggestions from Jetajockey above on the daily water changes and Prime or Amquel +. You can also use a turkey baster to clean the smaller tank. Keep up with your daily water changes and detox the ammonia daily until you have 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites and under 20 nitrates. After adding a chemical to detox ammonia, wait 24 hours before testing again to get more accurate readings.
    Best wishes!
    Ken

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice