Molly fry tank has ich! Help!

Bijou88

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
It's not just about water movement, you'll need the fry tank to cycle just like any other tank, so you'll want a filter. If you already have the air pump get yourself a sponge filter from amazon, they're really affordable and will do the job.

kidster9700

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Bijou88 said:
It's not just about water movement, you'll need the fry tank to cycle just like any other tank, so you'll want a filter. If you already have the air pump get yourself a sponge filter from amazon, they're really affordable and will do the job.
don't the sponge filters normally come with an air pump?

EDIT: i guess not, but i found one on amazon for $4.

DioAquatics

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I know that on Amazon you can get a sponge filter for a 10 gallon tank for about 5 dollars or so. I plan on getting another one myself for my shrimp tank I'm going to start soon

Dom90

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
KingD said:
I know that on Amazon you can get a sponge filter for a 10 gallon tank for about 5 dollars or so. I plan on getting another one myself for my shrimp tank I'm going to start soon
What sponge filter is that?

DioAquatics

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
this is the one I'm talking about

Dom90

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
KingD said:
this is the one I'm talking about
Hmm wonder if it would work on my 2.5... The filter I am currently using is getting weaker and weaker flow.

DioAquatics

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I think it should work in your 2.5. I plan on getting it for my 5 gallon soon

kidster9700

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
so with the 10 gallon as a fry grow-out, what kind of decorations and things go in there for hiding? most plants need something to hold them down from floating unless i get them potted. but i won't have a light so probably no live plants...

DioAquatics

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If its just a fry tank with no other fish, you dont really need decoration. I never used anything in my fry tanks before and my fry are all doing great. If you want to put something in the tank, your best bet would probably be some of the plasting plants.

kidster9700

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
well i would like to have something nice to look at. the ten gallon I'm using WAS going to be a shrimp only tank, but i think it would be better used as a fry tank. if i did want to have some plants or something, is that like completely advised against or would it be okay if i, say, used sand?

DioAquatics

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I think it should be fine to use sand, I'd prefer a bare bottom just so I can make sure my fry are doing good. I'd just make sure you wash the sand before adding it to the tank as it might cloud up a lot.

kidster9700

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
KingD said:
I think it should be fine to use sand, I'd prefer a bare bottom just so I can make sure my fry are doing good. I'd just make sure you wash the sand before adding it to the tank as it might cloud up a lot.
yeah, my 55 and 38 are both sand tanks. i have an extra 20lb bag of black sand from when i set up the 55, so i figured i could use some of that. the fry are light in color anyways since they will be yellow and white, so they stand out against black. then i can stick a few plants here and there. then if i ever want to switch it over to shrimp i don't have to do anything. just add more plants and remove the fry.

DioAquatics

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Well you said you dont have a light for the tank, so Im not too sure how well the plants would survive without it, even if theyre low tech plants

kidster9700

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
KingD said:
Well you said you dont have a light for the tank, so Im not too sure how well the plants would survive without it, even if theyre low tech plants
i mean i could always leave my curtain open and get some light in there hahaha. i usually have it closed unless its not sunny out, though.

DioAquatics

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You could try that, Im not an expert on planted tanks. Im actually looking to plant my 55 gallon tank. Maybe someone who has had experience with planted tanks can help you out with that one.

kidster9700

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
KingD said:
You could try that, Im not an expert on planted tanks. Im actually looking to plant my 55 gallon tank. Maybe someone who has had experience with planted tanks can help you out with that one.
well my 38 is heavily planted so i know how to do them, but i'm not good with lighting lol

DioAquatics

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Im assuming it could work if they get enough hours of light. Now another issue could be too much natural lighting and you getting an algae bloom which is just annoying

kidster9700

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
KingD said:
Im assuming it could work if they get enough hours of light. Now another issue could be too much natural lighting and you getting an algae bloom which is just annoying
my stupid 5.5 that the fry are in now got brown algae and everything is covered. the light on the tank is ridiculously bright though. and it probably gets some natural light from the massive window in there haha. but the 10 gallon would be in a different room.
on another note, my boyfriend is now trying to get me to get a chameleon and a 40b vertical would fit where i'm planning on putting the 10 gallon and i'm like "you just told me i have to many pets!" and so right now I'm getting all excited about that. it would mean the 10 gallon has to sit on my dresser or something, though.

DioAquatics

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yea I've gotten some brown algae on my fry tank but I cleaned that up really easily. If the plants are getting light and they are growing, then you should be okay.

Now if the chameleon is going to be where the 10 gallon is going to go, does that mean ou wont be getting any light onto the 10 gallon?

kidster9700

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
KingD said:
Yea I've gotten some brown algae on my fry tank but I cleaned that up really easily. If the plants are getting light and they are growing, then you should be okay.

Now if the chameleon is going to be where the 10 gallon is going to go, does that mean ou wont be getting any light onto the 10 gallon?
the chameleon is a maybe, but if that happens and i move the 10 gallon then i will get a light for it. because if i get a chameleon it means i have money. which means i can afford to buy one. hahahaha. anyways, i think i'm going to get to work draining it of dead brine shrimp and waterlogged eggs and rinse off the sand and stuff. i won't have the sponge filter until tomorrow but i can still get it ready today. i have a second airstone, would i be able to use my pump for the filter and as a little bubbler? i've never had that in a tank before and i think it might be cute. i only have one check valve, but i guess i could put it before i have the tubing split.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom