Molly fry tank has ich! Help!

kidster9700

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
oh man, they look so stressed.... i really don't know if i can help them :/ i think if any are alive and the ich clears up i'm moving them all to my main tank. i know some will get eaten (maybe, they're actually probably too big) but at least i don't have to keep up another tank thats so problematic. and Loki probably wants his home back.

Dom90

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Hmm I'm not being cruel but do you think euthanasia is an option at this point? :/

kidster9700

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Dom90 said:
Hmm I'm not being cruel but do you think euthanasia is an option at this point? :/
i might have to.
theres only about three that are actually swimming, but they still have clamped fins and are gasping.

Dom90

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Yea it looks like they're suffering

Bijou88

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I would let it ride out naturally myself. You never know.

kidster9700

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Bijou88 said:
I would let it ride out naturally myself. You never know.
thats true. there is one that looks completely fine. no signs of ich either. i'm tempted to move it into a breeder net in my main tank, but i'm worried about the ich spreading.

Bijou88

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I probably would leave it in the fry tank, just because he's not showing symptoms doesn't mean he doesn't have it, since he's been in with the others...

kidster9700

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
it appears that none died overnight. maybe one, because i only count 7 and there should be 8, but it might just be hiding.

Bijou88

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
That's good at least, some of them might make it after all. Hopefully.

kidster9700

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
the ich has cleared, theres four left, they don't have clamped fins and are eating again! i would like to move them into a fry net in my 38, should i wait another day?

EDIT: my mystery snail laid eggs and i was thinking of putting them in the net so the babies don't get eaten. can the fry be with them? otherwise theres no rush on the eggs, i can probably leave them and some will live.

Dom90

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Sorry to hear about your losses

kidster9700

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Dom90 said:
Sorry to hear about your losses
hey i thought i would lose them all so its all good. i'm actually amazed it was four and not three since one of them had been stuck on the filter sponge all day yesterday.

Bijou88

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Yay! Glad you've got some survivors! mystery snail babies (and adults) are fine with fry, the fry are actually more likely to pick on the snails than the other way around. If you're planning to hatch the eggs in the breeder, just make sure you float them on something and mist or lightly squirt them with tank water a few times a day, they usually take around 10 days to hatch.

kidster9700

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Bijou88 said:
Yay! Glad you've got some survivors! mystery snail babies (and adults) are fine with fry, the fry are actually more likely to pick on the snails than the other way around. If you're planning to hatch the eggs in the breeder, just make sure you float them on something and mist or lightly squirt them with tank water a few times a day, they usually take around 10 days to hatch.
so they won't float in the water? i think i have a little floating plant they can sit on. part of the eggs are where the lid closes and its all goopy.... what should i do about that?
and do you think it is okay to move the fry into the breeder? i really want to get that 5.5 gal emptied and cleaned out, or at least let it sit fishes for a week before putting my betta in.

Bijou88

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
The clutches don't float for long and the babies can't survive under water while still developing in the clutch. I've floated one on a piece of styrofoam in the breeder and it worked great. Just remember to dampen it. The goopy parts are what's inside the eggs before they're actually babies, if it's smushed that part won't turn into anything. I use a new razorblade to carefully slide under the clutch to remove it if it's being hatched elsewhere.

I have mixed feelings on the fry move, they'll be happier and do better in the 5 gallon but I know that you're betta needs it too...what size tank is he in right now again?

kidster9700

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The betta is in a half gallon. He's still healthy, but really needs an upgrade..... I could wait until I know the fry are okay.

Sent from my QTAQZ3 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

kidster9700

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You know, I'm going to have platy fry pretty soon. I think I might just go grab a ten gallon and set it up somewhere. Barebottom with a heater is all it really needs to be, right? I don't really have to money to buy another filter and hood, so I would just use like a screen top.

Sent from my QTAQZ3 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

DioAquatics

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Sorry about the losses of your Molly fry. But congrats on the strong survivors you have now.

Also, for your fry tank (Molly and platy) if you're upgrading to a 10 gallon, a bare bottom is the best way to go so you can monitor them better. That's how I have my guppy fry set up, bare bottom 5 gallon. Now, this is just something that has worked for me but, I would suggest getting a sponge filter to put in the fry tank, one of those that connect to the air pumps. That will allow the water to not be stagnant but will not cause a waterfall like the regular HOB filters, that push the fry around vigorously. I use sponge filters in all my fry tanks and they are doing great. Just remember to keep up with water changes and you should be okay.

Bijou88

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I also go bare bottom in my 20 gallon fry tank. You will want a filter, even when they're young live bearer fry still produce a lot of waste, especially if you end up with 100 of them.

kidster9700

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
KingD said:
Sorry about the losses of your Molly fry. But congrats on the strong survivors you have now.

Also, for your fry tank (Molly and platy) if you're upgrading to a 10 gallon, a bare bottom is the best way to go so you can monitor them better. That's how I have my guppy fry set up, bare bottom 5 gallon. Now, this is just something that has worked for me but, I would suggest getting a sponge filter to put in the fry tank, one of those that connect to the air pumps. That will allow the water to not be stagnant but will not cause a waterfall like the regular HOB filters, that push the fry around vigorously. I use sponge filters in all my fry tanks and they are doing great. Just remember to keep up with water changes and you should be okay.
my only issue is that i live at home and owe my parents money. now, i have an extra heater for the ten gallon (the adjustable i bought for the ich) and i can't spend any money. i CAN get a ten gallon because they're $10, but buying a filter is out of the question. my friend has a regular tetra whisper or something like that sized for a ten gallon that i can get, but that means no tank light since theres only two plugs available where the tank would go. i'm pretty sure i already have about six power strips in my room(s) and i don't want to have to buy another. i DO have an aerator for a 10 gallon that i can use, and i think if i get something to keep it from squishing i can just use a screen top on the tank and run the tube out fine. that still means no light, however. so thats disappointing.
TL;DR if water movement is the issue, can i just use an air stone?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom