Molly fry tank has ich! Help!

kidster9700

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Bijou88 said:
Keep the filter, just make a baffle. You can either use a water bottle or make one like mine (picture)
how did you make that? i can't quite tell what it is.

Bijou88

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
It's a plastic suction cup soap dish with holes in the bottom, they're like $3 at Walmart. It just has the glass aquarium things in it but gravel if it's big enough would work too. This one is on my betta tank, i had one on my fry tank when they were smaller too.

Or you can use a water bottle for a baffle but I don't like those as much personally. Just cut both ends off a water bottle and cut a slit in it lengthwise, slide it over the filter output. It just diverts the water to the sides making the flow less intense.

I would do another water change to get more of the salt out of the tank, it's not really necessary. I think your heater may be faulty as mentioned if it's not heating yet.

kidster9700

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Bijou88 said:
It's a plastic suction cup soap dish with holes in the bottom, they're like $3 at Walmart. It just has the glass aquarium things in it but gravel if it's big enough would work too. This one is on my betta tank, i had one on my fry tank when they were smaller too.
so this diffuses the strong flow? what if i just put like a sponge over it? i have some sponge material from when i had to diy an intake cover

Bijou88

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Sponge kinda works too. The suction cup one the water just diffuses through it, you can put it where the bottom is actually in the water if you don't need the surface agitation and it makes the flow even weaker.

kidster9700

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
so i actually had a good spot to shove a cutting of sponge in there, couldn't get it right at the bottom edge to completely diffuse the flow, but it bearable for the fry now. a few spots they have to swim but they can relax in other spots. before they were all getting thrown about wildly

kidster9700

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
should i hold off on another water change you think? they all look so sad... and starved. they seriously look like they haven't eaten in three days. all of them. but wouldn't go for the normal stuff during feeding time.

kidster9700

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Bijou88 said:
I would do another water change personally, but it may stress them out. Try throwing in a couple shrimp pellets if you have any, mine go nuts for them.
i do have shrimp pellets! i also have frozen bloodworms i can break out but they're actually for my frog haha

EDIT: literally no reaction. one is now on its side. another is stuck on the sponge intake. half are at the top gasping (not for air) and the rest are hiding in the tank. this is super depressing

kidster9700

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Bijou88 said:
I'm sure they'd like the bloodworms too, i don't use them myself. Mine are all excited when they get shrimp pellets though.
idk if you read my edit. i'm pretty sure they aren't going to make it.

Bijou88

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
kidster9700 said:
idk if you read my edit. i'm pretty sure they aren't going to make it.
No, I hadn't seen that. I don't know what could be causing the gasping unless they really did od on the salt, that's awful, I'm sorry. ..

kidster9700

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Bijou88 said:
No, I hadn't seen that. I don't know what could be causing the gasping unless they really did od on the salt, that's awful, I'm sorry. ..
i'm going to try a 50% water change. if they're OD'ing on salt it might help, but will cause other problems (stress, probably a new tank cycle)

kidster9700

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
the first to go has gone. i turned off the filter to give the three on the intake a chance to get off and one didn't move.

kidster9700

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Dom90 said:
Sorry to hear about your loss
it seems there will many more to come. this is a sad day indeed.

EDIT: four minutes later and theres two more dead. one of the fry is now having little fits.

kidster9700

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Dom90 said:
Save the poor fishies!
trust me, i'm trying! if you have ANY ideas at this point I'm pretty sure i'll lose all of them.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom