Molly fry tank has ich! Help!

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by kidster9700, Jul 11, 2015.

1. kidster9700

kidster9700 Well Known Member Member

Okay, so I CANT turn up the heat because it's a preset heater. I haven't installed the filter yet as they have only just become large enough for the current it will produce, and I already have some aquarium salt in there (because it's good for mollies I've read). I know fry can be sensitive to treatments so I want to know what to do. Normally I would increase heat but as I said the heater is preset (keeps the temp at about 78-80). I've never had ich in a tank before, but I've seen it on fish at my store. There's only about 1-3 specks on the 10 that have them and it doesn't look like it's part of their coloring coming in. Should I add more salt? I have about a tablespoon in a mesh bag in there and it's a 5.5gal. Or do you guys think that it'll clear up from what I have after I get the filter started?

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

2. tanksalot

tanksalot New Member Member

Hello! I am so sorry to hear your mollies have ich! First of all- Don't worry- ICH CAN BE CURED! :) Now I am not a molly expert but I have had experience with ich. Ich is common- it is okay.

-->SALT: Salt is a great start just like how you have been doing. I strongly suggest to stay along the parameters (like how much salt you use and how frequently) on the box. Do not do more. Though, use as much salt as you can and as frequently as you can.

-->HEAT: So you said you cannot raise the heat? Hmm.... that would be helpful but oh well. That is okay.
    Also, are there only mollies in this tank? Plus- you might want to
    :;google and even drop a visit to your pet store to ask someone about other cures.

Good luck- I hope this helped because I am very new to FishLore! :;fb

3. OP
    OP
    kidster9700

It's just mollies in the tank. (Well I have a ramshorn in there to help clean up and I think some bladder snail eggs made their way in but I have hundreds more and don't care about them.)
    I don't think the packaging says how often to replace the salt, my current bag has been in there about a week.

4. tanksalot

Awesome. Yea- your ramshorn snails will be fine. I actually do not know how much or when and I do not want to give you a wrong amount. Hmm... you also want to be doing a lot of water changes. So you might want to research that. And so are you very, very sure you cannot raise the temperature?

Also, just to make sure that this is ICH, do the dots look like little grains of something, like salt?

And again- TOO MUCH SALT can kill your fish or "shock" it kind of. And seriously, there are "cures" for ich that you can buy at stores that do work. If you buy one, please make sure to change your filter before use otherwise it will not do anything.

And by the way, to prevent this from happening next time, make sure that when you buy a new fish, it is clean and has no ich.

Hope this helps.

5. OP
    OP
    kidster9700

1) I'm not 100% it's ich
    2) Molly can actually be raised brackish so unless I put in a TON of salt they will be fine
    3) they were caught within an hour of birth and there is/was no ich in that tank
    4) they have been in my 5.5 for about three weeks and it just showed up.
    5) looks like white specks but since they're so tiny they only have one or two and it's on the tail. It might be the coloring but the spots look too large for that.

6. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

Kidster actually works at a Petco...

7. thefishdude277

thefishdude277 Well Known Member Member

That's convenient!

:)

8. OP
    OP
    kidster9700

It is! Unfortunately I've never had ich in one of my tanks and I just don't want my baby mollies to die. And if it isn't ich I don't want to medicate because I've heard that's not always good for the fish.

9. tanksalot

That is awesome! Anyway, you should search online for ways to identify ich. Also, FishLore has a page on Ich. I have heard they first start to appear on the "pectoral fins." Also, they might swim as if their fins are uncomfortable.

Does any of this sound familiar?

10. OP
    OP
    kidster9700

It's hard to say if they swim uncomfortable but the spots are on their uh, oh I can't remember what it's called. Tail fin. And that back area. ©

11. tanksalot

Their fins might be "clamped shut"- are they?

12. OP
    OP
    kidster9700

The ones with specks yes. And it does resemble salt specks upon further inspection. It looks like only half of them actually have it.

13. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Rather than using salt which some fish can be sensitive to, I would raise the heat. But if you can't do that either try using Kordon Ich Attack.

14. tanksalot

Okay then. I am very sure it is ich. :( Do not worry just try to follow the steps.

15. OP
    OP
    kidster9700

Maybe I could add like one of those little betta heaters that are for only 1-3 gallons?

16. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Well, you need to get it up to 86 and that probably won't do it for you.

17. OP
    OP
    kidster9700

It's at 80 right now. I have it on top of my mini fridge actually because it's really warm over there.

18. tanksalot

It is better than nothing.

Thanks, tanksalot.

19. Bijou88

Bijou88 Well Known Member Member

Also, if you use medication and end up adding your filter remove any carbon or it will suck out the meds. Meds might be your best bet unfortunately if you aren't able to get an adjustable heater.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

20. OP
    OP
    kidster9700

Okay, I think I'm going to do a water change and look into an adjustable heater. I also can't add the filter until I cut the tank lid (my first DIY tank hood!)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice