Molly fry keep dying Question 

Ssnaaiil

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I started out with 8 molly fry and now I’m down to 6, loosing 2 isn’t a big deal I just don’t want to keep slowly loosing them all... they are just over 2 weeks old... is it normals for the weaklings to slowly die off?

SlvikanAKAMsWorryWart

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Ssnaaiil said:
I started out with 8 molly fry and now I’m down to 6, loosing 2 isn’t a big deal I just don’t want to keep slowly loosing them all... they are just over 2 weeks old... is it normals for the weaklings to slowly die off?
Interesting bc I had SO many I just gave a lot away. Some were older than others but I gave them away at two weeks (oldest—some were born that day I think) so I wonder how they’ll fare. AND more importantly, I found a few more the person missed when getting the other babies. Found them yesterday and they’re teeny like I think two days old. Three are very listless and the same coloring and one is a brighter yellow (so maybe a different mom) and is swimming about. They’re so tiny I don’t even see them able to eat tropical flakes crushed up and I would assume I’ll lose them except none of the other 68 died— YET it hadn’t been a full 2 weeks so perhaps some will pass. I kind of thought if they made it through the first days then they were okay.

e_watson09

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Are they dying or just disappearing? Do you have them in a nursery tank? What are the parameters in the tank, what are you feeding them and how often are you doing water changes. Any information regarding the set up for the fry will help us answer your questions.

Ssnaaiil

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
e_watson09 said:
Are they dying or just disappearing? Do you have them in a nursery tank? What are the parameters in the tank, what are you feeding them and how often are you doing water changes. Any information regarding the set up for the fry will help us answer your questions.
they are dying, I have them in a glass bowl doing daily water changes, so I find them on the bottom dead. They are eating hikari first bites and instant baby brine shrimp...

e_watson09

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Ssnaaiil said:
they are dying, I have them in a glass bowl doing daily water changes, so I find them on the bottom dead. They are eating hikari first bites and instant baby brine shrimp...
So no filter and no heater? Fry are extremely sensitive to water conditions and parameters. I'd imagine this is what is causing the deaths. Most fry need warmer (and consistent) temperatures which a bowl cannot provide. Then not having any sort of filtration system means your bowl is likely in a state of constantly cycling because it is almost impossible to maintain a cycle in a bowl without a filtration system.

Can you put a breeder net in your main tank? This will be much better for them and may save some of the remaining fry.

Ssnaaiil

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
e_watson09 said:
So no filter and no heater? Fry are extremely sensitive to water conditions and parameters. I'd imagine this is what is causing the deaths. Most fry need warmer (and consistent) temperatures which a bowl cannot provide. Then not having any sort of filtration system means your bowl is likely in a state of constantly cycling because it is almost impossible to maintain a cycle in a bowl without a filtration system.

Can you put a breeder net in your main tank? This will be much better for them and may save some of the remaining fry.
Do you recommend the plastic box ones or the mesh netted ones?

e_watson09

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Ssnaaiil said:
Do you recommend the plastic box ones or the mesh netted ones?
Depends on what kind of tank you have I suppose. I have a plastic one that's nice and suctions to the side but the holes are bigger so tiny fry can escape. I prefer the nets if you have the space just because they have a finer hole in the mesh so no escaped babies

Ssnaaiil

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
e_watson09 said:
Depends on what kind of tank you have I suppose. I have a plastic one that's nice and suctions to the side but the holes are bigger so tiny fry can escape. I prefer the nets if you have the space just because they have a finer hole in the mesh so no escaped babies
I have a 35 gallon tank... I have read about some people saying their fry for strangled in the mesh ones when trying to escape but also like you said with the plastic ones sometimes the holes are big enough for the fry to escape

e_watson09

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Ssnaaiil said:
I have a 35 gallon tank... I have read about some people saying their fry for strangled in the mesh ones when trying to escape but also like you said with the plastic ones sometimes the holes are big enough for the fry to escape
I mean its a risk regardless, I have used both over the years and I never had the issue of a strangled fry in mesh. I'd imagine its like anything else you'll want to keep an eye out for loose threads and such and cut them as needed. That sounds like a pretty freak accident type thing to happen.

Try to acclimate them slowly to your main tank as they've already been super stressed from bowl life.

Ssnaaiil

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
e_watson09 said:
I mean its a risk regardless, I have used both over the years and I never had the issue of a strangled fry in mesh. I'd imagine its like anything else you'll want to keep an eye out for loose threads and such and cut them as needed. That sounds like a pretty freak accident type thing to happen.

Try to acclimate them slowly to your main tank as they've already been super stressed from bowl life.
How would I go about doing water changes on my tank with the breeding box hanging on the side of my tank?

SlvikanAKAMsWorryWart

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I had mine in a mesh breeder and the small ones I hadn’t seen would swim up and hide behind it so they had cover too. I had a few females which is why so many fry. The new small ones are in a diff essentially empty tank and it has no sides to hang the nets off of so the fish are loose in the tank but not with predators. I prefer the nets bc they don’t have to hunt for food but you have a great question about water changes. Maybe put a rock in the bottom of the net to sink it down to the bottom of the tank temporarily?

e_watson09

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Ssnaaiil said:
How would I go about doing water changes on my tank with the breeding box hanging on the side of my tank?
I guess that depends on how big of WC you're doing. They're pretty tall so you can do a decent water change without worrying about moving them. As long as they still have some water to swim you can drop the level of the water quite a bit. I always just took the whole hood off and slid the breeder net to hang on the back side of the tank when I was cleaning.

Ssnaaiil

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
e_watson09 said:
I guess that depends on how big of WC you're doing. They're pretty tall so you can do a decent water change without worrying about moving them. As long as they still have some water to swim you can drop the level of the water quite a bit. I always just took the whole hood off and slid the breeder net to hang on the back side of the tank when I was cleaning.
I usually do a 60-70% water change. So I'll probably just slide the breeder net down with the water level

e_watson09

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Ssnaaiil said:
I usually do a 60-70% water change. So I'll probably just slide the breeder net down with the water level
Just be careful not to drop it as the tops are usually open. If your fry are bigger the plastic box may be a better option because some of them are designed to float so it would just sink as the water level goes down. Just watch it so it doesn't hit a decoration or something and flip

Dennis57

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have always used the net breeder boxes. No fry can escape through it. When doing a water change the net (breeder box will slide down about 4") after that I just move it by hand down further when doing water changes

Ssnaaiil

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I got a breeder net and now my adult molly keep swimming between the net and aquarium glass and getting stuck

tluurtse

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I have a small breeder net that hangs on the side of my 29 at the top with metal brackets. For water changes, I just take a dishpan-like bucket, scoop underneath the breeder net (the other fish get out of the way) so I get tank water & let the bottom of the breeder net sit on the bottom of the bucket. They maybe have 3-4 inches of water, but it's fine for the 30 minutes or less that it takes to do a water change. Sometimes if brown algae has accumulated on the side of the net, I'll gently turn it & let the fry swim out into the dishpan, take the net off, rinse it, put the net back on, & reverse the process to capture them back in the net & put the net back on the side when I'm done. It seems like I always have molly fry & none of them die, though I'm sure some are eaten before I see them.

Ssnaaiil

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I put the 6 fry in the breeder net in my main tank (slowly acclimated them) yesterday. Today I did a water change and found one dead fry in the net and one missing(?) I can only count 4 in the breeder net...weird. Wondering if maybe one was small enough to swim through the mesh? Hopefully these 4 remaining make it

e_watson09

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Ssnaaiil said:
I put the 6 fry in the breeder net in my main tank (slowly acclimated them) yesterday. Today I did a water change and found one dead fry in the net and one missing(?) I can only count 4 in the breeder net...weird. Wondering if maybe one was small enough to swim through the mesh? Hopefully these 4 remaining make it
I don't know how high your water level is compared to the net but I'd check for holes or possibly it jumped. The dead fry unfortunately is a little expected from the shock of moving again. Keeping them in the tank tho is much better for them tho than the bowl they were in.

Ssnaaiil

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
e_watson09 said:
I don't know how high your water level is compared to the net but I'd check for holes or possibly it jumped. The dead fry unfortunately is a little expected from the shock of moving again. Keeping them in the tank tho is much better for them tho than the bowl they were in.
Water level is at least an inch above the top of the net. No holes/rips

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom