Molly fry in my new tank!!!

aquatickeeper
Congratulations on your fry!

CarrieFisher
Congratulations on your fry!

Lol, thank you!
You can imagine my surprise when I took the lid off to feed and then something tiny and wriggling caught my eye! Lol

aquatickeeper
Lol, thank you!
You can imagine my surprise when I took the lid off to feed and then something tiny and wriggling caught my eye! Lol
Lol, I'm currently caring for about 10 zebra danio fry.

Cori Elizabeth
These were the first and only ones that I've found with the orange markings and blushing. I'm really hoping the fry take on that same coloration, but only time will tell.

If you're near Michigan, I may have some up for grabs in a few months, along with bronze corys, peppered corys, and albino corys .
I'm all the way in South Australia lol but if you want to ship that'd be awesome, I have the space for them

BlackTeeShirt
I'm all the way in South Australia lol but if you want to ship that'd be awesome, I have the space for them
Well... That's closer to Michigan than... Antarctica?

Cori Elizabeth
Well... That's closer to Michigan than... Antarctica?
Lol do you think youd need a license to send fish over the borders?

BlackTeeShirt
Lol do you think youd need a license to send fish over the borders?
Hmm, not sure. I wonder how long it would take to go from here to Australia!? That'd be quite the trip for a little swordtail!

Cori Elizabeth
Hmm, not sure. I wonder how long it would take to go from here to Australia!? That'd be quite the trip for a little swordtail!
Well if you want to look into it id be happy to check them out

KristineJoh
yes if you want to save the fry, keep the lights off with lots of caves until you can get to them, or remove the female keeping the lights off works best for me and i've saved 20 fry

You've saved 20 fry??? How many do they have? I came home and found fry in my tank and was impressed I saved all 5 but I have no idea what a normal amount is and now I'm worried I missed a bunch!

KristineJoh
HI CarrieFisher I just had (surprise) fry born into a lifeguard (paraguard) situation as well, and I was wondering how that situation worked out for you? I still have one dose (of 5) of the medication left that I'm supposed to add to the tank but I'm hesitant.
Ps. Congrats on the babies!

Sarah Laferriere
You've saved 20 fry??? How many do they have? I came home and found fry in my tank and was impressed I saved all 5 but I have no idea what a normal amount is and now I'm worried I missed a bunch!
When my fish had fry the first time I didn't even know about it. After the 2nd batch I figured out they all got sucked up the filter my tank had a terrible nitrite spike and I couldn't figure out why. It was the fry in the filter now I have covered all of my filter intakes.

CarrieFisher
HI CarrieFisher I just had (surprise) fry born into a lifeguard (paraguard) situation as well, and I was wondering how that situation worked out for you? I still have one dose (of 5) of the medication left that I'm supposed to add to the tank but I'm hesitant.
Ps. Congrats on the babies!
HI there!
My 4 appear to be Thriving!
I did discontinue using paraguard, as I was only using it as a two week quarantine treatment, but they're all doing just fine, so it seems
Momma and the DG are moving to the main tank this Wednesday, so then I'll just leave the 4 babies in the quarantine tank without the fry box/net.

How are yours doing?
How many have you got?

Mine either only had 5 (she ate one before I got home with the fry net/box, so now 4), or she got to snacking before I discovered them in the first place

KristineJoh
CarrieFisher I have 5 isolated and they seem to be doing well so far. But this morning I found another one hiding at the bottom at the tank so I'm going to have to try to save him. My Betta, and a black and orange molly are taking far too much interest for my liking. There is a molly hanging out around the net so I'm wondering if that's the mom. I'm contemplating separating the fry into a different tank or into a breeder net (they're just in a regular net that I had on hand).

KristineJoh
Oh no! Sarah Laferriere That would be a sad thing to notice!!!

Sarah Laferriere
Oh no! Sarah Laferriere That would be a sad thing to notice!!!
Yup, I was super sad she's due to have fry again very soon so I'm watching closely.

Cori Elizabeth
their first batch is between 1-15 and then eventually they work up to having up to 100.
I saved 14 my first round, 3 my second and 3 my third

FishL:))

b688e04c6e02ecf4ace0b08ddead85ca.jpg

The Mommy Molly lives here I had an inspector at the house today and he said it's the cleanest tank he's ever seen such a compliment. My house is trashed but my tank is clean

She's pretty ruthless, I'd be super nervous she'd hurt my adopted fry babies

What a gorgeous tank!!!! Did you buy or make the stand?

CarrieFisher
So tricky!
I wish I knew if the 5 I saw were the only ones

Cori Elizabeth
So tricky!
I wish I knew if the 5 I saw were the only ones

mothers are very hungry after birth, it is likely she ate the majority.

CarrieFisher
mothers are very hungry after birth, it is likely she ate the majority.
Ive read that, but ive also read that "first time molly moms" can have single digit pregnancies, and I have noooooo way of knowing that! Lol

Cori Elizabeth
Ive read that, but ive also read that "first time molly moms" can have single digit pregnancies, and I have noooooo way of knowing that! Lol
yes that's true, their first birth is between 1-15. do you know if this is her first birth?

CarrieFisher
That's part of what I was saying in my previous post, she's finishing up a 2 week quarantine bc I just got her.
There's literally no way that I could know that.
She was the prettiest and thinnest molly in the tank, I thought for sure that she wouldNT be preggo

Cori Elizabeth
That's part of what I was saying in my previous post, she's finishing up a 2 week quarantine bc I just got her.
There's literally no way that I could know that.
She was the prettiest and thinnest molly in the tank, I thought for sure that she wouldNT be preggo
Well if she's just given birth, for the next 6 months you could be seeing more fry sorry to say

CarrieFisher
say whaaaaaaaaaaaaaa?!?!!!!!

Cori Elizabeth
say whaaaaaaaaaaaaaa?!?!!!!!
Mollies store sperm for up to 6 months and each month they have a new batch of fry.

CarrieFisher
That's insanity!!!! Lol
Are the odds of more fry happening better or worse?

Cori Elizabeth
That's insanity!!!! Lol
Are the odds of more fry happening better or worse?
Well if she had fry after you moved her into a new tank so soon, then id say shes very comfy where she is and will definitely be having more.
does she have a gravid spot?

CarrieFisher
Had to google what what was...
No, shes a creamsicle, and her belly is white, doesn't appear to be dark at all; ill have to keep my eye on her

Cori Elizabeth
Did she have a gravid spot when you first got her? It could be her colouration that doesn't allow you to see it

CarrieFisher
I honestly didn't notice anything large/roundish or overtly pregnant about her. That's whyyyyyy I liked her, lol

Are mollies generally very active? She seems like she needs a Xanax!! Lol

Cori Elizabeth
I honestly didn't notice anything large/roundish or overtly pregnant about her. That's whyyyyyy I liked her, lol

Are mollies generally very active? She seems like she needs a Xanax!! Lol
Mollies are EXTREMELY active, they never stop! I can barely get mine to settle down for sleep ahah

CarrieFisher
Well, that's good to know, I was beginning to think mine was just neurotic, lol

Shes in quarantine with a male dg and they are budddddddies now!
They hang out in the cave together!!

Cori Elizabeth
Well, that's good to know, I was beginning to think mine was just neurotic, lol

Shes in quarantine with a male dg and they are budddddddies now!
They hang out in the cave together!!
That's so cute

KristineJoh
My mollies are super active too. When they have the tank lights on.
I was able to save the 6th fry! I have a breeder tank for them and they seem happy. But they can save sperm for 6 months!!!!

I looked for a Gravid spot on my suspected mother. All of my females are a week and a half new to me from the pet store. I think the mom is a Dalmatian. She seems to be the one that just wants to sit next to the fry.

At what age can you put fry from a breeder tank back in with the main tank to free up the breeder tank for the possibility of more fry?

KristineJoh
their first batch is between 1-15 and then eventually they work up to having up to 100.
I saved 14 my first round, 3 my second and 3 my third
100!!!
How do their little bodies hold that many! I think I would have to let my fish eat them at that point. I would not be able to save that many. I have a 10 gallon and a 5 gallon tank.

Sarah Laferriere
100!!!
How do their little bodies hold that many! I think I would have to let my fish eat them at that point. I would not be able to save that many. I have a 10 gallon and a 5 gallon tank.
I couldn't keep that many either.

Balkaran0006
It also depends on that individual fish. My large female molly only has 15 fry every time she gives birth but they are huge!! I also have female mollies that are smaller but have 80 fry!!!

Cori Elizabeth
My mollies are super active too. When they have the tank lights on.
I was able to save the 6th fry! I have a breeder tank for them and they seem happy. But they can save sperm for 6 months!!!!

I looked for a Gravid spot on my suspected mother. All of my females are a week and a half new to me from the pet store. I think the mom is a Dalmatian. She seems to be the one that just wants to sit next to the fry.

At what age can you put fry from a breeder tank back in with the main tank to free up the breeder tank for the possibility of more fry?
It depends on your judgement, it's not really an age but more a size you just need to make sure they're not gonna get eaten whole

Cori Elizabeth
100!!!
your girl won't get to 100 but her belly just keeps getting bigger and bigger each pregnancy

FishWhishes
Lol, I'm currently caring for about 10 zebra danio fry.

What do you feed your zebra danio fry? I'm looking to breed my zebra danios soon and I'm not sure if I should use infusoria or if there is a specific food I should try.

Top Bottom