Molly fry in my new tank!!!

fjh
Thank you. About how many fry do you think they drop, or should I just do my research?
If this is her first time pregnant, she will probably only have around 10-20 fry. with each pregnancy, the number of fry goes up
Also you might want a second opinion in if she is currently pregnant, she might just be fat (though IME with livebearers they seem to be pregnant 100% of the time lol)

Edit: also I do consider this research but extra knowledge has never gone amiss

cynnseyy
Thanks again

fjh
Thanks again
any time we are all here to learn! feel free to ping me any time!

ProtimAquatics
Yes, they are pregnant. If your tank is planted and had enough hiding spots then there is a chance for the survival of the fries. You can also scoop out the fry after birth and put them into a breeder box or a spare tank. There you have to use a small sponge filter and an heater. Since they are extremely small, you need to feed them crushed flakes, brine shrimp or chopped blood worms. You can also feed the fry Hikari's First Bites.

HunterDonahue
Yesterday at petsmart, I got two free Molly's from the same tank. I have cared for guppy fry. But how do I care for molly fry. I have them in a breeder box right now. Also once they are older, will they breed? I know they are prolific but just wondering since they are "related"

HunterDonahue
also can I convert a hob filter to an in tank filter?

BeanFish
Molly brothers can and will breed. I do not think you will have any genetic problems.
I would personally move the fry into a tub, put a sponge filter and feed them live food or crushed good quality flakes.
Guessing by what you said you can't do that so just give them good water quality and food. They should be the same as caring for guppy fry.

Why do you want to convert a hang on back filter to a submersible filter? Anyways, I do not think you can.

HunterDonahue
My tank is in my room. And it is very loud because the water falling into the tank.

BeanFish
Try raising the water level. It should solve the problem.

CarrieFisher
So, my lil Clementine had 5 Cuties today!!

She's in a QT tank, she appears quite healthy, but today is only one week that I've had her.
Parameters in the tank 0/0/5.
Temp is approximately 77°F.
I have no idea what to do for these cute little babies!
Can somebody please tell me what it is that I will need to help you baby survive.

They are in quarantine with mama, and one male dwarf Gourami

ca2af79f01f30e426fd956d495cc8d6c.jpg
7bbc362fb8f5cc53d5cafde9a706646f.jpg

GlamCrab
I would remove the adults or the babies. the mom will eat them if she can catch them/not enough hiding place for the babies. that would be a great first step

I fed my molly fry hikarI first bites

Bruxes and Bubbles
Aw! Cute! Well, I can tell you what I do with my guppy and platy fry, but I don't have experience with molly fry (though I imagine they are very similar in requirements, just maybe a bit bigger).

For my guppies and platys, I usually get a big net and place it on the edge of the tank with the mesh hanging in the water and place the fry in and a lot of loose plants (real or fake) in there to make them feel comfortable. I feed my fry three meals a day consisting of crushed flakes and crushed shrimp pellets.

That's about it. They're just like minI adults.

Matthiasfanu
Separate the adult fish from the fry as they will eat them if they can catch them

CarrieFisher
I'm a little worried, as I've been treating the QT with paraguard.
Paraguard as preventative and to help the gourami with the bit of fin rot on his one fin.
Do you think I should put them into a breeder net in my main tank?

Bruxes and Bubbles
My apologies, but I have no experience with that medication. If you are concerned, perhaps put them in a spare tank (or plastic bin) until you have determined them healthy enough to be placed in the main tank?

CarrieFisher
They're already in one qt bc the Molly is new.
So they were born into paraguard treated water

Bruxes and Bubbles
They're already in one qt bc the Molly is new.
So they were born into paraguard treated water

Oh. Well, in that case, if they're acting fine, then they should pull through. I wouldn't worry.

Cori Elizabeth
I would definitely separate them Mollies are mighty hungry after giving birth and they'll eat their young any chance they have.

CarrieFisher
Okay, just went out and bought this

48d0a1c11895fb992ffa3e6301dd058a.jpg
Going to separate them asap!!

Special thanks to you all!!!
(And BlackTeeShirt) bc once again, saved like three bucks with online price matching!! Woot woot!!!

Do you guys think my LFS will take these guys off of my hands?
I really have no desire to keep em ☹️

Cori Elizabeth
They should take them off you when they reach standard selling size yes.
be careful with nets because the babies can still be attacked through the netting and get hurt

BlackTeeShirt
Okay, just went out and bought this

48d0a1c11895fb992ffa3e6301dd058a.jpg
Going to separate them asap!!

Special thanks to you all!!!
(And BlackTeeShirt) bc once again, saved like three bucks with online price matching!! Woot woot!!!

Do you guys think my LFS will take these guys off of my hands?
I really have no desire to keep em ☹️
Looks like we're both baby fish parents!

40facb02cafe8194ef19c2f836ecac0d.jpg

P.s. I price matched the breeder box .

Cori Elizabeth
Looks like we're both baby fish parents!

40facb02cafe8194ef19c2f836ecac0d.jpg

P.s. I price matched the breeder box .
Is that a platy?

BlackTeeShirt
CarrieFisher
Holy smokes, BlackTeeShirt!!

As far as I know, she only had 5, but by the time I got home with the box, there were only 4

This is not at all what I had in mind! Lol
I just wanted the very orange lyretail, and she was the thinnest and prettiest one in the whole tank, and of course...
Also pregnant!

Babies havin babies...

FishL:))
So, my lil Clementine had 5 Cuties today!!

She's in a QT tank, she appears quite healthy, but today is only one week that I've had her.
Parameters in the tank 0/0/5.
Temp is approximately 77°F.
I have no idea what to do for these cute little babies!
Can somebody please tell me what it is that I will need to help you baby survive.

They are in quarantine with mama, and one male dwarf Gourami

ca2af79f01f30e426fd956d495cc8d6c.jpg
7bbc362fb8f5cc53d5cafde9a706646f.jpg

Congratulations on your Fry!! Fry are very exciting!! I would put the babies into a separate tank, or move the other adult fish so that you won't risk any of them getting eaten. You can feed them the same food as your adult fish( if you don't have access to live food or fry food) just make sure you crush it into very tiny pieces. Water quality is also a key to make them grow big and healthy.

Cori Elizabeth
Swordtail... Happy mother of 35!
she's beautiful! I didn't know they looked like that might look into expanding from mollies a little

Sarah Laferriere
Hello so about 2 maybe 3 weeks ago my Molly had fry and I was able to save 4 of them. The Molly is in my 55 gallon tank so I moved the fry to my 13 gallon tank with nothing but snails in it. I know she's going to have more fry in the next few weeks and I'm hoping to save some more. I'm wondering if the 4 fry I have now would try to eat the new fry?? Is it safe to put them together in the 13 gallon?? My only other option is to put them in a 1 gallon tank I had for brine shrimp. I changed out the salt water in the 1 gallon to fresh water and currently have it set up with the filter running but it's a 1 gallon tank, is it even possible to cycle such a small tank?? Not sure what would be my best decision?? Does anyone have any suggestions?? Thanks

Cori Elizabeth
No they won't try eating them they aren't big enough perfectly safe to put them together

fjh
how large are the current molly fry? if they are large enough to eat the new fry, then they are also large enough not to get eaten in a community tank, so I would move them to your 55g. Otherwise, I would raise all the fry together.

cannibalism isn't as common as people seem to think though, so I would just let the mom give birth in the 13g with the 4 fry, them move the mom back to the 55 gallon when shes done and keep all the fry in the 13g.

and I would not use the 1 gallon at all

Sarah Laferriere
The 4 fry are still pretty small, hopefully they will be ok all together in the 13 gallon then. I really didn't want to have to put them in the 1 gallon. I may put a few MTS in the 1 gallon?? I have probably hundreds of them in the 13 and 55. I don't want it empty but I also know it's too small to do anything with??

Cori Elizabeth
The 4 fry are still pretty small, hopefully they will be ok all together in the 13 gallon then. I really didn't want to have to put them in the 1 gallon. I may put a few MTS in the 1 gallon?? I have probably hundreds of them in the 13 and 55. I don't want it empty but I also know it's too small to do anything with??
snails would be good.
my fry are 5 weeks old and theyre will 4 week old fry and theyre all fine, obviously a big difference in ages but they'll be fine

fjh
sure you can put some snails in the 1 gallon you'll have to put a lot in though if you want to keep it cycled

Sarah Laferriere
There's 2 platys in the 55 and I think they were eating the fry as they came out. They were following her quite close that day.

fjh
I would put your pregnant female in the 13g a week or two before she gives birth. that way, youve collected all the fry in the tank you want to raise them in, and the other platys can't eat them (and the mom get some peace).

Cori Elizabeth
There's 2 platys in the 55 and I think they were eating the fry as they came out. They were following her quite close that day.
yes if you want to save the fry, keep the lights off with lots of caves until you can get to them, or remove the female keeping the lights off works best for me and i've saved 20 fry

Sarah Laferriere
sure you can put some snails in the 1 gallon you'll have to put a lot in though if you want to keep it cycled
It's not cycled at all, there was no filter on it until an hour ago. The filter was killing the brine shrimp so I wasn't using it. We fed the last few to the Molly and changed out the water, added the filter. It's actually kinda cute but not big enough for a fish I don't think.
1f9e5aa7b838d034287c0abe131172c2.jpg

c87da10d2fced6a75251ecb515db44c1.jpg Molly fry

Cori Elizabeth
how cute!

Sarah Laferriere

b688e04c6e02ecf4ace0b08ddead85ca.jpg

The Mommy Molly lives here I had an inspector at the house today and he said it's the cleanest tank he's ever seen such a compliment. My house is trashed but my tank is clean

I would put your pregnant female in the 13g a week or two before she gives birth. that way, youve collected all the fry in the tank you want to raise them in, and the other platys can't eat them (and the mom get some peace).
She's pretty ruthless, I'd be super nervous she'd hurt my adopted fry babies

fjh
You could make your 1 gallon into a shrimp tank! add some live plants and a few RCS and start a colony ;D

omg so cute!! I love fry <3

BlackTeeShirt
she's beautiful! I didn't know they looked like that might look into expanding from mollies a little
These were the first and only ones that I've found with the orange markings and blushing. I'm really hoping the fry take on that same coloration, but only time will tell.

If you're near Michigan, I may have some up for grabs in a few months, along with bronze corys, peppered corys, and albino corys .

Top Bottom