Molly fish swimming at surface Please help!

wdbwdb777

I have this molly fish that is just swimming in the upper corner of the tank, I have a filter that shoots water out from the back so it hits that glass right in front of the fish and will push in both directions right and left toward the sides of the tank, so the fish is having to swim forward against the current to stay in that spot just like you swim against the current in an exercise pool, but it just stays in that spot all day and has been doing that for the past 6 or 7 days. The day before that he was swimming around on top of the water with his mouth right up by the surface, and I looked it up and it said that they do that when there's low oxygen in the water. When he was doing this he was also swimming right into the output of the filter like really close to it, so maybe the flowing water is cooling him off or something? I know they are cold blooded so that doesn't make sense but idk. This is my first summer with these fish and I didn't realize that the hot weather was making the water warm and the temperature had risen to 84 degrees and it's only supposed to be 80 to 82 max for molly fish according to what I read, and apparently the warmer the water the lower the oxygen. Normally I keep it at 78 or 79 and I did a water change with cold water, about a gallon and a half and added some ice cubes and that dropped it down to 78 again and he quit swimming off the top after that, and now he just swims in that upper corner like in the video all the time pretty much. I I have two other fish in the tank that are acting totally normal, when I give them their blood worms every day, the fish that is swimming in the corner will swim down and go eat them with the others and when I put a spinach leaf in there he'll swim around and nibble at the leaf for a while and then goes right up in that corner again and sits there all day and doesn't move, and it has never done that the past.

I had just put another fish in there I got from Petco but it didn't get along with the other fish so I had to take it back and I wonder if maybe my fish got some type of sickness from that fish but the other fish are acting totally normal so I don't know what's going on. All my levels are good, nitrate is 20 ppm, hardness is 125, pH is about 7.8, ammonia and nitrites are zero.

I tried one dose of Melafix and all my fish seemed really affected and stressed so I stopped, I have Seachem Paraguard also but I haven't tried it yet, I'm planning to though. Should I? I have plants in my tank and I read Paraguard can be harmful to plants... Anyone have any idea why my fish is doing this? Thanks for any help.

BigManAquatics

Do you have an airstone in the tank? The extra water agitation would help if possible low oxygen levels. I would try that before paraguard, nothing i see screams parasites. Does look like maybe clamped fins.

Also, maybe try adding a couple caves or something? Fish like hiding spots and what i see looks pretty bare.

wdbwdb777

Do you have an airstone in the tank? The extra water agitation would help if possible low oxygen levels. I would try that before paraguard, nothing i see screams parasites. Does look like maybe clamped fins.

Also, maybe try adding a couple caves or something? Fish like hiding spots and what i see looks pretty bare.
Yeah thanks I had an air stone but I realized my pump is for a 10 gallon and I have a 20 gallon. So I got a Whisper pump up to 40 gallons and it's bubbling super good now like really strong. So I'll see if that helps, thanks that comment made me look into it and realize I needed to change it. It was making pretty weak bubbles before that.

I have a little house that they can hide in and trying to grow the plants. I'll let you know if his condition doesn't improve. He seems like he wants to swim in place or looks like he's swimming in place even when there's no current like when he's down at the bottom. Maybe he's itchy or uncomfortable from something.

FishDin

Don't use medications unless you know they are needed.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Macandcheesequeen
Replies
Views
P3P5I
Replies
Views
Yukonix
Replies
Views