Molly Fish Issues - What's Going On?

Frostbite77115
We had a couple (maybe 5?) Dalmatian Mollies. The tank also has a pleco of some kind , a Golden Barb , and a phantom Tetra. The tank was here as we moved in. Owners seemed inexperienced. Some of the mollies wound up dead for some reason , with innards missing. I've made past posts about it , this was last year. Well all mollies died other than one. Other fish are fine. The one was pregnant. Had babies. Now the weird thing is , the babies gills look almost deformed. It could have been due to inbreding.. but their kills look too wide or big , and puffed out. Now the mother looks the same. And now very recently, the mothers bottom lip is stuck open. She's also swimming in weird patterns and hanging at the top. First thought is Ammonia poisoning or Gill mites , BUT the other fish arnt effected. Please help! Thanks.

Free The Clownfish
Pleco beat her up

Frostbite77115
Pleco beat her up
What's up with the gills on all mollies? And the pleco might be. But all babies are fine other than gills. And they were able to mature without being eaten.

Free The Clownfish
I don't no stress
the babies are not being targeted because the pleco didn't find em interesting

Wait mollies need brackish water

Frostbite77115
Wait mollies need brackish water
Mollies have been here for couple years without anything too odd.. may be wrong.

Frostbite77115

20180226_202657.jpg
20180226_202818.jpg
20180226_202823.jpg

junebug
I don't no stress
the babies are not being targeted because the pleco didn't find em interesting

Out of curiosity, what the heck are you talking about?

Even if the pleco did attack, it wouldn't cause the gills to puff out on all of the fish. Seriously, please research before you post.

Frostbite77115 it's probably internal parasites causing the fish to lose weight, making it look like their gills are sticking out. Without an ammonia/nitrite reading and a photo there's no way to tell for sure though.

Free The Clownfish
low air

Frostbite77115
She's also swimming like this right now. Right into filter... guessing Ammonia ...but why not the other fish?.
20180226_202922.jpg

junebug
Oh. Never mind on the pics LOL. They don't look thin, so that's good.

What is your ammonia reading?

Free The Clownfish

Even if the pleco did attack, it wouldn't cause the gills to puff out on all of the fish. Seriously, please research before you post.

Frostbite77115 it's probably internal parasites causing the fish to lose weight, making it look like their gills are sticking out. Without an ammonia/nitrite reading and a photo there's no way to tell for sure though.
sorry I really don't know these are guesses

your other fish may be hardier

Frostbite77115
Haven't read Ammonia yet... Will do. And yes they're pretty fat , worried the mother black Mollie may be pregnant again.... inbred.

Frostbite77115
And these are the other 2. Gills look fine..
20180226_203615.jpg

Attachments

• 20180226_203615.jpg
    20180226_203615.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 96
  • 20180226_203622.jpg
    20180226_203622.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 87
Free The Clownfish

I had a bad experience with plecos

are their fins ok

can I see the puffy lip

junebug
sorry I really don't know these are guesses

Please stop guessing. You are not helping the OP.

Until there is an ammonia reading available there's no way to know if that's the issue. If you can't test your water, at least do a large water change. Speaking of, what is your water change schedule?

Free The Clownfish
I am stumped I am not even a molly carer

Free The Clownfish
sorry I was trying to elimnate all things

Frostbite77115
Hard to get pics through water..lol

Find look good on all fish.
Her lip isn't exactly puffy , just open. Almost stuck looking maybe.

20180226_204048.jpg
20180226_204054.jpg

Attachments

• 20180226_204143.jpg
    20180226_204143.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 85
  • 20180226_204052.jpg
    20180226_204052.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 84
  • 20180226_204053.jpg
    20180226_204053.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 91
  • 20180226_204145.jpg
    20180226_204145.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 93
Frostbite77115
Please stop guessing. You are not helping the OP.

Until there is an ammonia reading available there's no way to know if that's the issue. If you can't test your water, at least do a large water change. Speaking of, what is your water change schedule?
Will change tonight most likely and I just gotta find the kit for testing. I'm told we have one. Also we've been using like Spring water from the store. Bought in gallons. Were we live , we have Well water with a lot of minerals like lime/calc and iron. So we don't use it.

KimberlyG
Do you see any of these fish flashing against things?

Sel
Will change tonight most likely and I just gotta find the kit for testing. I'm told we have one. Also we've been using like Spring water from the store. Bought in gallons. Were we live , we have Well water with a lot of minerals like lime/calc and iron. So we don't use it.

But mollies need hard water. Your water may be too soft.

Frostbite77115
But mollies need hard water. Your water may be too soft.
What's that mean? Still a novice

junebug
Your tap water is probably perfect for mollies, as they like a lot of calcium and minerals in their water. They prefer water with high pH and hardness. Spring water should be fine too, just a lot more expensive haha. But, if you've been using it, keep going with it for now until you figure out what is up with their gills and mouths.

I would do a water change regardless of whether you find the test kit. If you don't know where it is at this point, I'm guessing it's too old to use haha. (I don't know where mine is either, haven't used it in years).

The other options for what it might be aren't good, so here's hoping it's ammonia poisoning which is an issue easily solved with water changes and Prime.

Frostbite77115
Not sure. No unusual flashing I don't think..
Do you see any of these fish flashing against things?

Frostbite77115
Your tap water is probably perfect for mollies, as they like a lot of calcium and minerals in their water. They prefer water with high pH and hardness. Spring water should be fine too, just a lot more expensive haha. But, if you've been using it, keep going with it for now until you figure out what is up with their gills and mouths.

I would do a water change regardless of whether you find the test kit. If you don't know where it is at this point, I'm guessing it's too old to use haha. (I don't know where mine is either, haven't used it in years).

The other options for what it might be aren't good, so here's hoping it's ammonia poisoning which is an issue easily solved with water changes and Prime.
It's got like lots of iron and Lime...the like stocks to shampoo bottles and stuff in the shower. Would it kill fish?

AND thank you alot. I think my brother had the Test kit new somewhere in his room. He has a lot of tanks.

junebug
It's got like lots of iron and Lime...the like stocks to shampoo bottles and stuff in the shower. Would it kill fish?

AND thank you alot. I think my brother had the Test kit new somewhere in his room. He has a lot of tanks.

Ah okay, I gotcha. So yeah, test if you can.

And without knowing the specifics of your tap, I can't say your water is 100% safe, but I'm assuming you drink it, right? IF so, it's usually okay for fish, as long as they're the type of fish that do well in your water.

Rtessy
The harder water may be better for them, but be sure not to shock them with a sudden change. If you were to transition, start with a mix of the bought water and tap, for the first time probably less than 50% tap. To be honest, I'm not sure what the gills could be, do you have any way to test TDS? And the lime may raise the pH, so if you do switch keep an eye on that as well.

KimberlyG
Not sure. No unusual flashing I don't think..
Okay, that is good. I have seen gill flukes cause this type of protrusion so I was just checking.

Frostbite77115
Ah okay, I gotcha. So yeah, test if you can.

And without knowing the specifics of your tap, I can't say your water is 100% safe, but I'm assuming you drink it, right? IF so, it's usually okay for fish, as long as they're the type of fish that do well in your water.
We do not drink it. We had it filtered but we've had some issues and are using unfiltered right now until it's fixed... the water smells like eggs (sulfer). We are from the city so we arnt used for that kind of stuff.. We drink bottled water for now until we get it fixed.

Another family member suggest Gillmites..what's the take?

Sel
I agree with June, stay with the water you’re using for now. Focus on the sickness.

Frostbite77115
I'm guessing Gillmites are a no go because how would they have come only recently?

Oliver T.
id say deformities, the thing with strains is that, some strains aren't as stable as others and that could have been what deformed the babies. One of my balloon mollies (pls don't hate on me for owning purposely deformed fish) had a weird thing with its spine and it made it's tail shaped like a 'v' (dont worry that molly is living and doing well. Its actually the most active fish in the tank). But that's just my two cents.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Scoob
Replies
Views
Gypsy13
Replies
Views
Goldiemom
Replies
Views