Molly experts needed please

Discussion in 'Molly' started by crystalm04, Jul 21, 2015.

1. crystalm04Valued MemberMember

I've had a gold lyretail molly for about 2 weeks now and when I purchased her at Petsmart I did notice some white looking scales but thought that may just be her coloring. Her scales on top of her head look whiter than the rest of her scales and looks almost dry. Like dry skin on a fish. They are not inflamed or oozing anything. They also are not raised. I've been all over the web trying to figure out what it may be and I have come across a few sites with what looks like the same exact question as this and pics to go with some, but no one seems to know what it is. She's eating well and swimming well, looks very happy. My water parameters read as 7.2 PH , 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites and 0 nitrates. Its a 37 gallon newly set up tank. Not sure if its done cycling because I don't have any nitrates. I also don't use salt cause I have other fish that wouldn't tolerate any salt. All my other fish seem fine and it doesn't appear to be spreading. I've added some prime today but that's all I've done so far. I've thought I may give her a salt bath to see if that helps. Any idea what it may be?

2. kidster9700Well Known MemberMember

picture maybe? i'm not an expert on mollies but i have kept them in the past and i'm raising molly fry right now haha. white spots sounds like ich, but i'm guessing they are specks. are her fins clamped? if not, it could just be her coloring since she's acting healthy.

3. crystalm04Valued MemberMember

Heres a pic of her. best I could get. came out sideways

Here's another one.

Her fins aren't clamped. She swims and eats fine. Just looks dry.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2018
  4. kidster9700Well Known MemberMember

sounds and looks healthy to me. i could be missing something, though.

5. crystalm04Valued MemberMember

scales on top of her head just look dry to me. Maybe she's just my ugly duckling. She does act fine and non of my other fish are showing signs of anything and they've all been together for 2 weeks now. Ok well thanks for your help.

6. NympxzieValued MemberMember

I know some young female molly can get white/metallic scales that go away as they age. A couple of mine had that.

7. crystalm04Valued MemberMember

Yes she is young so maybe that's what it is. I did go to petsmart today and saw a couple more like her and they were also female. I pointed them out to the store worker and she said that part of their coloring. I'll still keep a close eye on her but she seems to be doing great. Thank you.

8. allisongNew MemberMember

My experience of my last ich breakout was before my molly's. However, I found it tended to start with salt looking specs on the tail, which were very easy to spot and I followed a 7 day treatment on day four and 7 repetition. Followed by a substrate clean and 75% water change. It went quickly, your molly doesn't show any signs from the pictures of ich and I think with her beautiful tail you would have noticed. Perhaps just a random colour mutation? Again I'm no molly expert, i just added 2 beautiful gold doubloon mollys. They are extremely friendly fun additions to my tank. Good luck

Sent from my D6603 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

9. crystalm04Valued MemberMember

Thank you and congrats on your two new mollies.:)

10. robertheartNew MemberMember

I know what u r talking about. My ballon Molly has the same dry looking scale that seems cracked bread skin. She is fine and I have had it for months. Just the way it looks nothing to worry.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

11. crystalm04Valued MemberMember

That's very reassuring. Thank you for sharing that with me.:D

12. mammaguppyValued MemberMember

Yeah, I'm no expert but it might be nothing. Do any of your other fish have this

13. crystalm04Valued MemberMember

No they don't and my girl is doing fantastic since I started this thread. I've come to the conclusion that she is just very young and it may also be a part of her coloring coming in to place. Shes one of my favorite babies... I call her my ugly duckling for now but I Know now its not a fungus or disease.... Just her looks... I thought of giving her a salt bath just in case but after much observation I decided not to stress her with that. So far so good and yes she is doing beautifully.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice