Molly Expelled Eggs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raevyna

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
My molly, Ivana, is approximately 1.5 years old, and has never given birth before. She was housed with several other mollies (male and female) her entire life up until about 3 or 4 months ago when we got rid of the rest. She's the last surviving fish from our very first aquarium we set up, so we didn't have to heart to give her away. She was always pretty aggressive, and didn't like to be with other females, but would never let the males breed with her.

The other night as I was feeding I noticed a perfectly spherical yellow thing resting on a rock. Then I started to notice them all over. I watched for a while, and they were coming from Ivana! I was shocked, since we've had several batches of fry from other mollies in the past, and I know they're not egg layers.

Is this some sort of fishy menopause? Did she give up hope that there would ever be another male for her to breed with, and decided to call it quits on the eggs? Or were they possibly fertilized but never developed? This would be about the time frame they say mollies can hold sperm.

The eggs all looked just perfect. Round and yellowish with a small white spot. They didn't look at all sickly, and none had started to develop in the least.

Ivana is her same old perky self. Just wondering how many other molly-keepers have had this happen, or if it's a rare occurence.

Attachments

BennyB

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hmm...this one has me stumped...
My black molly gave birth a few weeks ago. She gave birth to 23 healthy fry, one dead fry, three underdeveloped fry who where still balled up(but alive, and eventually came loose and are now healthy, free swimming fry ), and one egg, just like yours. Not sure why they do that, maybe it's just that the egg wasn't fertilized or wasn't developed properly.
This could be some random thing, but I'm thinking she is just infertile. She may have been fertilized by a male at some point, but she can't produce eggs properly, and they never developed into fish, so she expelled them.

That's my guess, and I can't stress enough that this is my guess.

Good luck with your fish!

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning,

It does sound like some type of miscarriage. It very well could be due to her age if she's elderly.

Best wishes for your fish!
Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

UV Sterilizers Worth It?

• Yes

Votes: 25 22.9%
  • No

Votes: 10 9.2%
  • IDK - never used one before

Votes: 74 67.9%