Molly Dying

Discussion in 'Molly' started by GrumpyOldMan, Jul 8, 2015.

1. G

GrumpyOldMan Valued Member Member

My Dalmation Sail fin Molly is over 5 years old and was the very first fish I ever bought. He has fathered dozen of fry which were either rehomed or moved to other tanks. He still eats a little, but the once dominate fish now lays on the bottom of the tank or sits straight up and down in the plants with little desire to move unless provoked by another fish. If it were any other fish, I would put it down. But He has earned his place in the tank and I am reluctant to do so.

Is 5 years plus old for a Molly?

Water parameters are fine. Water changes done weekly. No other fish affected. I have a QT but it is still in the cycling process.

I don't want him to suffer, but it will be hard to say goodbye, especially if I have to do it.

2. Bluestreakfl

Bluestreakfl Well Known Member Member

Average persons consensus seems to be about 2 years from what I could find searching through a few places, some rarer instances people are saying 3-5 years. If hes over 5 years, I can only imagine that youve given him the best life and care his entire life. It may just be old age catching up with him. If it were me personally, in a case like this, I would let the fish go naturally, unless hes visibly in pain or suffering.

3. OP
    OP
    G

GrumpyOldMan Valued Member Member

Well...............it's over. Saw some commotion in the tank and found the others pushing him around like a float toy. Never thought I could become so attached to a fish. I'll miss him and his antics.

4. Bluestreakfl

Bluestreakfl Well Known Member Member

Im sorry for your loss :console:

We all become attached to our fish, with their quirky personalities and unique behaviors. I know I for one become very attached. When I lost my 1 guppy out of my group of 5, I was heartbroken. Those guys were like a little posse, and it killed me watching one in particular miss his best buddy. My condolences to you friend.

5. BornThisWayBettas

BornThisWayBettas Fishlore VIP Member

I'm so sorry for your loss. :console:

Yes, it sounds like he was just old, but also sounds like you did a fantastic job of taking care of him. :)

6. Lisa Schuster Altmiller

Lisa Schuster Altmiller Valued Member Member

He was lucky to have you. Sorry for your loss.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

7. s

smee82 Fishlore VIP Member

8. Bijou88

Bijou88 Well Known Member Member

I'm sorry for your loss :( at least he had a good long life.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

9. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Sorry for your loss. :(

10. tanksalot

tanksalot New Member Member

I am so sorry. Rest in peace. :;hi2

11. mammaguppy

mammaguppy Valued Member Member

You gave him the best life he could have. So sorry.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice