Molly diet

lina

Reaction score
HI all!!
I read somewhere that mollies need some green in their diets and it was also mentioned that it was OK to give them some iceberg lettuce. Does anyone know if that's true? Thanks!!!!

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Try it and see certainly won't hurt. They may take veggie flakes more readily.I give all my live bearers a meal of veggie flakes or krlp flakes every day.
Carol

cowizzle

Reaction score

hI ;D
let us know how they turn out with the ice berg lettuce.
how exactly would one prepare that certain meal for fish??
into tiny bits and pieces I suppose.. but let us know?

OP
L

lina

Reaction score
Hi,
My mollies did nibble a bit on the iceberg lettuce. I cut them into very little pieces. I ended up getting spirulina to aid their vegetarian diet. They went much better then lettuce
Lina

Izabela

Reaction score
My mollies like to nibble on cucumber, romaine lettuce (blanched or frozen and thawed) zuccini, and the occasional peeled pea (frozen, thawed, skin taken off). One thing that they LOVE is what my LFS called a "Frill Plant". These are quite attractive plants, so I bought several for my tank....twice now. My mollies keep eating them .

Izabela

cowizzle

Reaction score
okay, I guess this is a dumb question but do I serve the veggies uncooked or fresh?! just wondering before I actually pop em in the tank and then realize I did something wrong... =/

Izabela

Reaction score
Cucumber and zuzzhinI uncooked. You can blancj spinach and romaine lettuce by placing it in boiling water for just a little while...like a few seconds. This makes it softer to eat. Please be sure to only serve small amounts and do not let the veggies lay around the tank, as they will start to well......rot. I remover mine after a couple of hours.

Izabela

zanith56

Reaction score
I give my mollies a tropical balanced flake. I also give one cube of tubifex a day. On occasion I will give brine, of which I was told they will eat, however, mine do not take much to it so I stopped. I am soon going to introduce them to the veggie/algae waffers.

armadillo

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Butterfly said:
Try it and see certainly won't hurt. They may take veggie flakes more readily.I give all my live bearers a meal of veggie flakes or krlp flakes every day.
Carol
My mollies certainly like the green flakes more than the red ones. At the beginning, they would only spit out the red ones.

New Threads