Molly Death...Cause?

Tink

Reaction score
I came home today to find my dalmatian molly belly up at the bottom of the tank. She seemed to be doing great yesterday, and today it looked like she was pregnant because her belly looked larger. I left for work today and she seemed fine, but I came home to her dead. Any ideas on what could have happened? My first thought was overfeeding...please help!

R.I.P. Spot...

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Could you tell us a little about yout tank please? size? occupants? water paramenters(ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrates). How long it has been set up. Sorry to answer your question with more questions, but the answers to these will help us figure out what happened to your molly.
Carol

pauliface

Reaction score
Tink i have always been told that the chance a molly ruins a tank is high, due to stress. I mean ruin your tank as in die or carries a small infection, again due to stress. I am not 100% sure of this, but everyone who i know has had this problem. I keep away from them. Sorry to hear about your molly though.

Tink

Reaction score
I talked to a woman I ran into at work today who bred mollies and she said it sounded like an organ failure. I'll just stick to that story because all my water levels are normal...thanks again, though.

And I'll keep trying with mollies because I absolutely love them.

sasha

Valued Member
Reaction score
we keep mollies quite a few of them in fact and we have never had a problem with them carrying infection etc due to stress nor has any of them passed on. We thought we would lose a few of the babies as our white sailfin gave birth to around 40 but nope tjhey are all still with us and are doin great, so i'm not sure if what pauliface was told is accurate,how much larger was her belly?? is it possible for a baby to get stuck in birth canal and therefore cause death to the mother...i love mollies too they are gorge fish to watch especially the sail fins sorry to hear bout ur molly tink

sasha

Valued Member
Reaction score
Hi is it possible it could have died of old age, your pics look as though they are quite big/adult sorta size ?? just another possibilty,

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom