Molly Care And Info

1. JLeeM Well Known Member Member

Hello.

My girlfriend has expressed a genuine interest in mollies.

That being said, what can anyone tell me about caring for a group of say 3? At this point, tank might be 38 to some kind of 40.

1. Is 3 enough or too many in a group?

2. What gender ratio is acceptable? Or is all male or all female okay?

3. Determining gender?

4. What's a good temperature?

5. What are good tankmates? Other stocking may include
    Gourami (likely Pearl maybe Dwarf)
    Bolivian Rams
    Black Skirt Tetras
    Another Middle Schooler (maybe)
    Pleco (BN or Clown) (maybe)
    Snails
    Shrimp

6. Diet?

7. Behavioral problems to watch for?

8. Anything else?

This is just a research phase. Thank you for your time.

2. goplecos Well Known Member Member

1. 3 is great for 1 group. I would do 2 females 1 male.

2. I would do 2 females 1 male.

Platy_sexing-2426fdd7f3e37c2c1e299006afa224b3_v_1403001003.jpg
    4. 76-82

5. I would do: 3 mollies, 12 black skirts or 2 schools of 6 larger tetras or around 16 small tetras or rasboras,
    1 common BN pleco or 2 smaller plecos such as clown plecos or a smaller BN like a Albino. I would recommend stocking very lightly because mollies breed like rabbits.

6. high quality flakes, and frozen bloodworms for treats.

7. lethargy, common birth defects include puffy gills, and deformed lips,and the usual for other fish: fungus, finrot, etc.

8. to prevent inbreeding make sure you add in new fish every few generations.

3. JLeeM Well Known Member Member

So basically get all one gender?

4. BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

1. 3 is fine

2. I would do all females but 1 male 2 females or al males would be fine

3. In addition to the anal fin, females are larger and rounder

4. 70-78f. I would aim for around 74-75f

5. In a 40 you could do

1 Dwarf gourami
    1 or 2 Bolivian rams
    8-12 Black Skirt Tetras
    10-12 Neon tetras
    1 BN pleco
    Snails
    Amano Shrimp

6. Omnivores that do best with a mostly herbivore diet with a bit of freeze dried or frozen foods mixed in. Vegetables and algae wafers will be appreciated

7. Not really, typical male livebearers chasing females but pretty peaceful with other fish

5. goplecos Well Known Member Member

In my experience platies are the only livebearers that if you have all males that they don't tear each other apart. I would recommend stocking alot lighter than what you have because mollies breed like rabbits, and if you get all females chances are they are already pregnant. Mollies do not go together with gouramis well either, because they outcompete them for food. Mollies are peaceful you just have to get fish that are fast enough to get food before them.

6. BettaPonic Well Known Member Member

I know Guppies can be kept just Males. If it were me I would turn the tank into a colony tank. Pick a species you like and just put them in. Mollies are not big fry predators so a little cover and they will breed. With a colony tank you can watch generations of fish birth to death. A tip with Mollies is to make sure they get greens in their diet.

7. JLeeM Well Known Member Member

Not looking to breed or form a colony. Just was wondering if I could put 2-4 in a future tank I'm planning so my girlfriend has some mollies to enjoy. After this though, she may not like them as much. Don't think either of us want a 30+ gallon with just mollies.

8. BettaPonic Well Known Member Member

Okay, sorry. I set up a 38 gallon with just Guppies. Are you thinking plants? Ever heard of assassin snails?

9. JLeeM Well Known Member Member

Thinking about starting my first live plants in my 20 long betta community tank. Have some other stuff to take care of in it first though. Yes, I have heard of assassin snails. Why?

10. BettaPonic Well Known Member Member

They are a great invert for tanks. Pothos makes a great plant. You have to keep the leaves out of water though.

11. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

If you don't want to deal with fry, then get all males. Females will often come pregnant from the store, and they can reproduce for another 9 months or so after mating with a male once.

12. BettaPonic Well Known Member Member

In a community tank the fry probably won't make it.

13. JLeeM Well Known Member Member

Won't the males be aggressive?

14. JLeeM Well Known Member Member

Can't keep assassins because I plan to have other snails in pretty much any tank I ever have. I love mystery and nerite snails. Not really interested in a semi aquatic plant either. Been thinking about java ferns, water wisteria, swords, and of course moss balls. Been trying to keep an ear out for a good floating plant too. That doesn't get too out of control, but still serves a purpose.

15. BettaPonic Well Known Member Member

I have kept water wisteria and it will act as a floating plant. They grow lots of tall plants.

16. BeanFish Well Known Member Member

In the wild a male Molly will become dominant and chase away other males from his territory so he is the only one that breeds. Other males will then become submissive and try to sneak in in order to breed. They will usually clamp their dorsals to look like females and then try to quickly sneak in behind females in order to breed. I keep male and females separately with no big issues (the male tank has some chasing here and there by the dominant Molly) but I would personally love to be able to keep them all together in a colony. I cant because I have different color patterns and I dont want mutts. Mollys and livebearers in general will display more natural behaviors when kept with the opposite sex.

If you want Mollys for the 38 I would build the tank for them in mind. You can get other fast community fish so most fry is eaten. If you plant well enough the tank some will survive, you can sell/give away those and not have many problems. You wont really find a plant that wont get out of control, they are plants, they want to grow. Under the right conditions you will have to trim most plants. Hornwort is a good floater. Grows thick mats on the surface where fish can hide, it filters water pretty well and is easy to remove when it overgrows.

As for temperature, I have kept them from 16-30 Celsius but anywhere from 18-26 is more than fine IMO. They mostly eat algae in the wild but they adapt well to any sort of commercial foods. I have read in a lot of places that they need some vegetable matter in order to correctly develop their fins. I think that is more directed towards sailfin/yucatan varieties but I would give them veggies just in case.
    The sex ratio should be 2 females per 1 male. The more females the better. I would personally keep more males in the tank, maybe 3 so you can see a more natural behavior. The only problem with keeping 3 males is that you would need at least 6 females which may limit the space for other fish.

17. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

With enough males, aggression shouldn't be an issue, as other males serve as distractions.

And even in community tanks, fry can survive. As OP specifically mentioned they don't want breeding, males only seems like the best option.

18. BeanFish Well Known Member Member

Agression isnt an issue with a small group of males IME neither. I keep just three and I have never seen any physical damage, just some chasing. I was just sharing a different point of view, livebearers show the most interesting behavior when kept with the opposite sex and fry doesnt have to be a problem. Only females, only males or mixed would work. I personally am not afraid of females being pregnant, just let the fish eat it and if some fry hide then just give them away, with females you will see almost no agression at all so he may like that idea too.

19. goplecos Well Known Member Member

You could be perfectly right and I'm glad you can pull it off. It's just all of my livebearer colonies that didn't have good mix of male and females ended in disaster.

20. BettaPonic Well Known Member Member

I know it's pretty common for male Guppies to be kept alone. My thirty eight gallon is just females.