Molly Bullying Corys

Discussion in 'Molly' started by 1BGM1, Apr 22, 2017.

1. 1BGM1New MemberMember

I have a Molly that has been in my tank for a couple weeks now and all of a sudden today it's been going around attacking my Cory cats, I thought they were supposed to be peaceful.. is it a male or female and would that even make a difference in the aggression? b7602738bbc6aaba40ce4a5be3ad9f36.jpg

2. AWheelerWell Known MemberMember

It looks like a female to me, and she looks like she might be pregnant... is she bullying them during feeding time (normal) they are crazy eaters....or is she bullying them when they go near her because she is hiding out in a certain spot?

3. 1BGM1New MemberMember

No she's darting around the tank and dive bombing them :/ and my girlfriend first noticed it today a couple hours after feeding

4. AWheelerWell Known MemberMember

How big is your tank, she might not have enough room.

5. 1BGM1New MemberMember

I have a 38 gallon bow front, and it's under stocked, I don't think it has to do with that

6. AWheelerWell Known MemberMember

Do you know the ph of your water?

7. 1BGM1New MemberMember

Last I checked it was 8.0, and I don't add salt as of yet

8. AWheelerWell Known MemberMember

I'm guessing you just have an aggressive female then :( Unless she starts flicking herself off of things, then she might have a parasite.

9. 1BGM1New MemberMember

What do you mean flicking herself? When I first got her she would swim into the glass left and right but that stopped some time ago, I thought she was just a dumb fish haha

10. AWheelerWell Known MemberMember

I mean like they kind of fling themselves off of the glass, off of the substrate, off of decorations, etc. Sometimes they will do it near where their gills are and usually it is a sign of gill flukes.

11. 1BGM1New MemberMember

No nothing like that as far as I know, hasn't been doing it with the glass for a while now, I think you may be right, I may have just gotten an aggressive one :( is there anything I can do to lessen the aggression? Maybe adding more mollys?

12. AWheelerWell Known MemberMember

Well, let me think...it could be a temp thing too, some cories need colder water than mollies. It could be that there needs to be some plants or something for the cories to hide in/under. If you have a molly that is aggressive chances are it might be that way with other mollies as well. It might be being aggressive because it is close to giving birth as well though. Has it always been aggressive or did it just start?

13. 1BGM1New MemberMember

As far as I can tell it just started happening, there's a few decorations, a ship with two entrances that the corys always hide in and a large fake plant that is easily hid behind

14. AWheelerWell Known MemberMember

I'd give her a week to see if she doesn't give birth...as long as she isn't hurting the cories, and they can hide from her, she should stop...If she doesn't and gets really aggressive, then you'll have to rehome her or put her in another tank if you have one.

15. 1BGM1New MemberMember

Alright I'll keep an eye on it, thanks for the help :)

16. AWheelerWell Known MemberMember

no problem!

17. happygoluckyWell Known MemberMember

I would get some more mollies to distract her. Keep in mind you are probably going to only want females unless you want a lot of babies real quick.

Livebearers can be real jerks, just kind of hit-or-miss. I had some platies that would peck anything to death, slowly but surely. Make sure your cories are getting their food! Livebearers are also pigs lol :)

18. smee82Fishlore VIPMember

Mollys in my experience have always been pretty aggressive for a peaceful fish once they get a little bigger then anything else in the tank.

19. 1BGM1New MemberMember

Sorry for the late reply, I got another Molly and so far things have been peaceful, she still gets aggressive around feeding but it is what it is, and so far no fry yet :/

20. Balkaran0006Valued MemberMember

You're gonna have to make sure the molly isn't bullying the other molly. If she is still very aggressive I would suggest getting a few more mollies to spread out the aggression.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice