Molly breeding

Discussion in 'Breeding Fish' started by guppygrl, Dec 9, 2012.

1. guppygrl

guppygrl Valued Member Member

I have one female gold sailfin Molly and one male of same... and also one female Dalmatian Molly and male of same. So far only the gold sailfin Molly has had fry. They are over a month old and doing great.

I haven't seen the other Molly get large or have babies yet.

I know about guppies and what to watch for but with a white body Molly I can't see a gravid spot and she's already a large fish.

The Dalmatian male is always with her.

I know my ratio isn't right but I can't add any fish until my new tank is set up. I hate MTS!

My questions.
    Will the two kinds of Molly fish breed with each other?
    The golden make sailfin Molly doesn't seem interested in either.
    What signs to watch for in pregnant Molly fish?

My female golden sailfin was pregnant when I got her. She is getting large again!

Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. C

Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

The different mollies are just color strains, so yes they will breed with each other. If you wanted more breeding, it is best to keep at least 2 females to a male. The males can beat up the girls, it is good have more more girls for them to spread the love. :D

Do the males pester the females? That would be a good sign they are trying to mate.

3. OP
    OP
    guppygrl

The Dalmatian only chases the Dalmatian. He doesn't go after the gold one. My male gold Molly doesn't pester anyone.

The females will both swim around him but he's oblivious to them for mating. I've only had him a couple weeks so he may just be getting used to his friends.

4. C

Yeah, give it a little more time. You may want to consider a new male.

5. OP
    OP
    guppygrl

A new gold or Dalmatian male?

6. C

Whatever doesn't seem to be insisted in mating.

7. OP
    OP
    guppygrl

The gold. Even tho the Dalmatian mates regularly....no fry yet. But I guess I should be careful what I wish for.

My daughter is very attached to the Dalmatian's... Chip and Oreo. Oreo is the female and queen of the tank.

Maybe I can put the gold male in one of the tanks I'll be setting up in the next few weeks. I have 3 ten gallon tanks meant for fry grow out tanks. Maybe I'll have one as a breeding tank. Set up some soft lighting and romantic music. Lol

8. C

Are you going to have the 3 tanks near each other? I can go over some cheap and easy ways to filter them.

9. OP
    OP
    guppygrl

All I have are the tanks. Haven't looked into where they will be going. I couldn't resist them and they were only seven dollars each.

Sure... would love some ideas!!

10. C

A good sized air pump can power multiple tanks. Air pump to a gang valve, then out to sponge filters. I've got multiple tanks filtered solely by sponge filters. They are inexpensive and effective. Also, they are great for fry. Don't ever have to worry about fry getting sucked up.

I run both sponge filters I made and ones that I have bought. Very easy to make them. For the price of 1 HOB you can filter several tanks.

11. OP
    OP
    guppygrl

Great idea! I like the sponge filter for fry too. 2 months in a row I've found fry in my canister filter... hence the sponge on the intake now.

I'd need to find a table or desk sturdy enough to hold the three tanks. I have an old computer desk I was going to throw out. It may hold them.

I had a mini disaster with a used heater I was given. I set it up in my fry tank... 5 gallon... and the temp went up way too high (closer to 90) and killed some of the fry. I bought a new one which is working as it should. What temp is good to promote fry growth?

12. OP
    OP
    guppygrl

How do you make your own sponge filters?

13. C

80F (26C) Is a good temp to help fry grow. I'll need to take some pictures and I can go over making a sponge filter.

14. OP
    OP
    guppygrl

Thank you! I'd appreciate the DYI info for them sometime. :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice