Molly being eaten alive help!

Fishingforlife
I have 3 tuxedo Molly's 3 rubby barb 3 X Guppies
6 X Pearl 'Danio'.

I've just looked in my tank and the ruby barb have been niping the tail of one of my Molly's, she is now going too die and nothing I can do

Why did this happen? I have smaller fish in my tank than the Molly and they haven't done it too them.

Please help

IMG_20201022_010811.jpg

Advertisement
AggressiveAquatics
That’s just a classic case of bullying there’s really not anything to do about it besides separate the fish. I also saw that you don’t know about the nitrogen cycle so I assume you didn’t cycle your tank, did you?

Advertisement
Fishingforlife
That’s just a classic case of bullying there’s really not anything to do about it besides separate the fish. I also saw that you don’t know about the nitrogen cycle so I assume you didn’t cycle your tank, did you?

My thank has been set up for about 3+ months now. Ammonia is 0 and have had no issues for ages.

Will they end up doing it too other fish? I've had the barb in tank for awhile now and first time they have done it

AggressiveAquatics
Sometimes they fin nip when they’re hungry how often do you feed them? there’s no way to 100% tell if it will do it again but if you do see any aggression from that fish I would separate it ASAP. Maybe rehome it if you don’t have a new tank to put it in

Fishingforlife
Sometimes they fin nip when they’re hungry how often do you feed them? there’s no way to 100% tell if it will do it again but if you do see any aggression from that fish I would separate it ASAP. Maybe rehome it if you don’t have a new tank to put it in
Every other day.

Janice1979
Barbs are known for being nippy bullies, especially if they aren’t kept in large groups of their own kind. I highly recommend rehoming they. They will continue to pester your other fish. Once that one is gone they will just move in to the next.
How big is the tank?

Advertisement

ProudPapa
Many shoaling fish, like barbs and tetras, will harass their tank mates if they don't have enough of their own species to keep their attention. If your tank is large enough, and if you otherwise like the barbs, I'd recommend getting more of them. Six is often recommended as the minimum size school, but I prefer at least eight, and more is always better. If it's not large enough, or if you're not that fond of them, it would probably be best to re-home them.

As I'm thinking about it, mollies are generally pretty tough. I wonder if there's something else going on to weaken it?

Lakefish
That molly looks pretty bad in general, tail notwithstanding. Spinal curvature and wasting. I would suspect TB and euthanize it. Kinder not to let it get pecked to death.

RayClem
Mollies, guppies, platys, barbs, tetras, Corydoras and many other fish are shoaling fish that should be kept in groups of no fewer than six. New fishkeepers and a fair share of more experienced ones try to keep too many species in a tank and fail to provide for the minimum number of a single species that will make them feel at home in the tank. I have made that same mistake in the past, but now know better.

Many barbs and some tetras become aggressive and nip the fins of tankmates if they are not kept in large enough groups for them to feel comfortable. The nipping behavior will become even worse if the tank in which they reside is crowded. Tiger barbs, rosy barbs and black ruby barbs are among the most notorious of these. I love Serpae tetras, but they can also be fin nippers. so I keep a minimum of six.

There was no mention of tank size. If it is too small for the current inhabitants, then you will need to rehome some of your fish so you can bring the remaining species up to a minimum shoal level.

Fishingforlife
It's 190L

What is TB and will the other fish now have it? Unfortunately she passed away not long after posting this

I feed them once every other day, is that not enough? Should I feed them every day?

Advertisement

ProudPapa
It's 190L

What is TB and will the other fish now have it? Unfortunately she passed away not long after posting this

I feed them once every other day, is that not enough? Should I feed them every day?

That's a good-sized tank. I'd add at least 6 more of the ruby barbs, and you have room for quite a few more if you really like them. You could add more mollies and guppies also, though if they're mixed sexes your tank will fill up pretty quick. That's rarely, if ever, an issue with egg layers like tetras, barbs, danios, etc.

Some people feed their fish every other day, some feed every day, and some feed twice each day. I don't know that there's a right or wrong; just make sure not to overfeed.

Fishingforlife
I've just looked in tank and one of my guppies is dead! He was swimming around fine about an hour ago....

I don't get what's happening

I've just had a look and once again it's been attacked

I've been checking tank loads today and few hours ago all fish were fine with no injury's!

Im phoning local shop tomorrow too see if they'll take them back, I can't risk adding 3+more when they might continue doing this

They have been in tank with each other for months, so it's only last couple of days this has started.

IMG_20201024_024912.jpg

RayClem
Since you seem to have enough room in the tank, adding more fish is a possibility. That does two things. One is that by adding more of the barbs, they will be more focused on establishing the pecking order within their own shoal and may leave other fish alone. By adding more of the fish you think are being bullied, the bullies will spread their aggression among a larger group of targets such that the risk of any one of them being killed is diminished, unless the fish is weak or sick to start with. That could well be what happened with your molly and guppy. If they were already sick, the barbs may have hastened their demise. Normally, healthy fish will not be killed by other fish unless the other fish are significantly larger. Barbs might nip at their fins, but that should not be sufficient to kill them.

Fishingforlife
Someone said above about TB. I've googled it but it seem quite complected from the site I read.

Could this be spreading in the tank? Can someone exsplain it in a basic way of what it is?

Advertisement

RayClem
The disease called TB in fish is not the same disease as tuberculosis in humans and other mammals. It is caused by bacteria in the mycobacterium genus. There are two things troublesome with this disease. One is that the bacteria are covered with a protective sheath that makes treatment of infective fish impossible. The second issue is that mycobacteria can be transferred to humans through open wounds. If you have any open wounds such as cuts on your hands, never place your hands into a tank that might be infected with mycobacteria as you can get the disease. You also have to be careful of handling fish with spines such as catfish as a puncture wound could introduce the bacteria into your system. In humans, the disease is often called "fishhandler's disease". If you show symptoms, see your physician. Make sure your hands are washed thoroughly after any contact with aquarium water. Wear rubber gloves if you have any open wounds on your hands or arms.

You might check with your local vet to see if they are able to test for mycobacterium infections. Not every vet will have extensive training in ornamental fish diseases. If you can find a vet, you will either need to provide a fish that died within the past few hours or sacrifice one of your larger live fish that might be infected for testing purposes.

If your tank is infected with mycobacteria, then it would be best to transfer all yout fish to a quarantine tank to see if they develop symptoms of disease. Dispose of plants, rocks and biomedia in the main tank and sanitize the substrate, tank, heater, filter, nets, and any equipment that has come in contact with the aquarium water with a potent disinfectant such as Lysol. Make sure anything that contacted the sanitizing solution is rinsed thoroughly with copious amount of water to remove all traces of disinfectant. Then set up the tank from scratch and go through the full cycling program.

If you do suspect a TB infection, please do not add any more fish to the tank and do not attempt to return any fish to your LFS as this might infect their tanks (if they are not already infected). Euthanize any fish that look like they might have symptoms of TB and wait to see what happens to the rest. Hopefully, it is not a mycobacterium infection and the tank will recover. In the mean time, you might want to wear long rubber gloves anytime you place your hands in the tank. Please wash your hands thoroughly after contact with aquarium water.

Fishingforlife
Thank you for all the advice.

I can't seem to find anything close too me that can check.

Works up this morning with another guppie dead

I'm at a loss, I've now got 6 barb. I've done 2x 75% water changers.

I don't know what else I can doo..

Thinking about it, I added 3x Ramshorn snails too my tank about 2 weeks ago, could they have something that has infected the water?

Fishingforlife
Just had another fish die. I don't know what I can do.

RayClem
Did you take pictures of other fish in your tank that appear to be sick? The only picture we have is of the molly, but now it seems you are continuing to lose fish. It is obvious that you have some type of disease in the tank, but if forum members are to be of assistance, we are going to need evidence that can be used to diagnose the issue. Hopefully, it is not TB as was suggested by one member earlier.

If the issue cannot be diagnosed properly, it might spread to the entire tank. Please give us pictures and as many details as you can.

Advertisement

Fishingforlife
I did post one of guppie as well In previous post.

Cherryshrimp420
Doesn't seem like the tank is cycled.... When doing water changes is the water dechlorinated and same temperature as the tank....?

Fishingforlife
RayClem
I did post one of guppie as well In previous post.

Sorry, I missed that. The photo is not all that clear, but there does not seem to be evidence of external parasites or fungus. Thus, there may be some type of internal infection or parasite. Unfortunately, it is difficult to know how to treat such diseases until you know what is causing it.

Do you know other fishkeepers in your area who might come over and look at your fish? If not, perhaps you could bag up one of your sick fish and take it to your LFS and have them look at it. However, not all LFS have personnel experienced in fish diseases.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Whitewolf
Replies
Views
MacZ
Replies
Views
LittleMollie
Replies
Views