molly being aggressive

1. kidster9700 Well Known Member Member

If my Molly is chasing other fish and being mean, is it because its alone and needs more mollies? I don't have much room in my tank but if I need to get more I can go to the extra mile to make it work

2. kidster9700 Well Known Member Member

It's not just when I feed them, either. I'm worries about my.guppy because she is already really timid and the Molly picks on her the most

3. Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

Is this in your 29 gallon tank? You might not have enough space for a molly. How big is it? Some mollies can get pretty big, if they are feeling cramped they can get aggressive.

4. kidster9700 Well Known Member Member

It's about three inches. :/ I don't have anywhere else to put it

5. kidster9700 Well Known Member Member

i just checked on my fish, and my guppy is like, scared to death. since i've gotten her she's always been really skittish but not like this. even my tetras are hiding in the back. besides removing the molly from my tank, what can i do? do my fish need more hiding places? would getting just one more molly be okay? is there some way for me to keep my molly entertained so she won't nip fins?

6. escapay Well Known Member Member

Can you upgrade tank sizes?

You could try putting more plants around to help block visual from the Molly. But if she's like my Lemon Tetras were... they'll just cause havoc until the others die or get removed from the tank.

7. Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

Can you get a picture of the tank? Taking the molly back to the store may be your best option.

8. kidster9700 Well Known Member Member

I can't upgrade my tank size due to lack of funds and space. also, how do i post a picture?

9. Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

10. kidster9700 Well Known Member Member

IMAG0728.jpg

11. Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

First of all, great looking tank!

I think that's a 20 long and not a 29 gallon tank. Honestly, you don't have the room for a molly. I would really consider taking it back to the pet store. You probably wont get money back but you'd be much better off not having it, that's my opinion anyways.

12. kidster9700 Well Known Member Member

i'm 90% sure it's a 29 gallon. i got it in a kit from petco like five years ago and everything seemed legit so. the problem with returning the molly is that my boyfriend got it for me and he is absolutely in love with it. and he doesn't understand the concept of too many fish. he really knows nothing.

if it is a 29 gallon, and i returned the guppy to the store, and got two more mollies would it be okay?

13. kidster9700 Well Known Member Member

measured it and the dimensions are roughly 30x12x18 i think it's a bit taller than 18 inches but it's hard to tell because of the stand

14. Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

Do you know if it's a male or female? Would you be able to get the dimensions of the tank? If it's a male molly, I would get 2 females. That might help. Although, I'm not sure if you really have the room for more mollies. They can get kinda big.

15. kidster9700 Well Known Member Member

i'm pretty sure it's a female molly.

16. Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

17. Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

Mollies aren't a schooling fish so I don't think adding more of the same species would help much.

18. kidster9700 Well Known Member Member

okay. more guppies wouldn't help, would it? (not that i'd buy more, but i do have those fry that will be big enough to roam free in a week or so) because when i had three guppies she didn't seem as mean. not sure if there's a connection there

19. Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

Male guppies can seem mean. They just want to mate... with anything they possibly can.

I'd love some input from other members :D

20. kidster9700 Well Known Member Member

well the guppy that i currently have is a female and the fry are too young to tell still.
    also, i recently got a five gallon tank that i was planning on putting a betta in, but if it means saving my guppies could i put them in that? i think they can hold on long enough for it to cycle, and i'm pretty sure that it will go fast if i use my filter media from the 29. i know that that would be cramped but is there any way i could make that work?