Molly Behavior

FishLoverEmma0

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
So, a few weeks ago I bought two male sailfin mollies for my 10 gallon, which currently has one betta fish, two coolie loaches, and a clown pleco. My betta is very peaceful and wouldn't even touch a baby guppy. One of the mollies died, i think because it didnt look to healthy in the first place, so I decided to get a male black molly and a female black molly. So far, the two males have not touched her, except for the other black molly male staying beside her, since they were in the tank together at the store for so long. Everywhere I go, I see that you should have a 1 to 3-4 male and female molly ratio to reduce the stress while breeding, but they are not doing anything to her. I was wondering if this is normal, or maybe a rare chance, and if i should be worried about it? The male mollies are not showing any hostility or territorial displays to each other either.

FishLoverEmma0

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Cander said:
You have a lot in that tanks pleco and mollies have large bio loads...also is you tank cycled
Yes my tank is cycled and heated. I do a 25% water change every Friday and check my water levels every Wednesday. The clown pleco is fairly small and has subsided from eating algae to just sucking on the driftwood in the tank.

Lorekeeper

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Before you worry about your female molly, you should be worried about your stocking.

Sailfin mollies will need at least a 20 gallon, and preferably a 20 long.

Kuhli Loaches need pretty large groups to do well.

Clown Plecos will need a larger tank.

Bettas, while able to live in a community, will ultimately do better in a lightly-stocked community.

I'd recommend upgrading your tank, or taking some fish back.

To answer your question, yes, you should have gotten two females and one male, or even better, all males to avoid fry.

buttertart

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Don't worry.... The boys are probably a little afraid of her. They'll get a little more confident in time.

DuaneV

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yeah, you have some issues. I WOULD NOT add Mollies to the mix (even though you did). The betta is fine, the clown SHOULD be fine (they stay quite small but have a large bioload). As long as youre running a good filter and doing routing water changes he should be okay. Make sure you have mopani wood in there, thats a staple of their diet. The kuhlis are iffy. I've kept them in 10's before with no issues, and Ive kept them in small groups too. 30 years ago this was normal. The first time I had them I bought 3 and kept them in a 10. They lived to be around 8 or 9 years old. Lots of arguments now that they like larger groups and tanks, but they are not a true schooling fish. As long as you have a sand bottom, some mopani wood and leaf litter, they should be okay in there. I actually think your 10 gallon is pretty maxed out with the betta, kuhlis and clown. The Mollies have a big bioload too and they like large tanks. They WILL reproduce and soon youll have serious issues in that 10 gallon. Id either return the Mollies or get a larger tank.

FishLoverEmma0

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I do have a 3 inch sand bottom with lots of wood and some duckweed on top. As I tried t say below, I am going to upgrade to a ~30 gal as soon as I can. Sorry for the weird reply, the mobile website doesn't work too well.
Lorekeeper said:
Before you worry about your female molly, you should be worried about your stocking.

Sailfin mollies will need at least a 20 gallon, and preferably a 20 long.

Kuhli Loaches need pretty large groups to do well.

Clown Plecos will need a larger tank.

Bettas, while able to live in a community, will ultimately do better in a lightly-stocked community.

I'd recommend upgrading your tank, or taking some fish back.

To answer your question, yes, you should have gotten two females and one male, or even better, all males to avoid fry.
I am currently saving up to upgrade to a 30 or 29 gal
DuaneV said:
Yeah, you have some issues. I WOULD NOT add Mollies to the mix (even though you did). The betta is fine, the clown SHOULD be fine (they stay quite small but have a large bioload). As long as youre running a good filter and doing routing water changes he should be okay. Make sure you have mopani wood in there, thats a staple of their diet. The kuhlis are iffy. I've kept them in 10's before with no issues, and Ive kept them in small groups too. 30 years ago this was normal. The first time I had them I bought 3 and kept them in a 10. They lived to be around 8 or 9 years old. Lots of arguments now that they like larger groups and tanks, but they are not a true schooling fish. As long as you have a sand bottom, some mopani wood and leaf litter, they should be okay in there. I actually think your 10 gallon is pretty maxed out with the betta, kuhlis and clown. The Mollies have a big bioload too and they like large tanks. They WILL reproduce and soon youll have serious issues in that 10 gallon. Id either return the Mollies or get a larger tank.

cgittelm1

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Mollies need to be in a larger tank! Trust me, I learned the hard way. They are wonderful fish though. I wish you all the best!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom