Molly behavior

Discussion in 'Breeding Fish' started by mistycheri, Mar 30, 2006.

1. mistycheriValued MemberMember

I have a question, I have two black mollies, male and female, the other day I noticed that the male was bothering the female. It almost looked like he was nipping at her belly. He followed her around all day doing this. Is this some kind of mating ritual? ??? He's since stopped, and doesn't bother her anymore. But now she is acting weird. She acts like she wants to be alone, she's been hanging around the surface, between the top of the heater and the pump filter pipe,(about an inch apart). Is this normal?

2. vinWell Known MemberMember

Yes, it's normal beahavior. Mollys are livebearers and males always look for some 'action' with females and will constantly pester them....(yeah, typical males right.... ;) :D ). It's for that reason that when it comes to livebearers like Mollys, Platys, Swordtails and Guppies, that they always recommend that you outnumber your males with more females. So, for every male molly, you'd want at least two females. This way, the males will still get distracted by the females, but he's got more than one to chase, thus allowing the other to get some occasional rest.

If I were you, and your tank could support it, I would get another female molly. Good luck!

3. 0morrokhFishlore VIPMember

The male was chasing her around trying to get her to mate. They probably did which is why he stopped bothering her, but now I would guess she is so exhausted from being chased around she is just sitting there. And you really do need at least one more Molly.

4. mistycheriValued MemberMember

I have another female molly that's yellow and orange, but the black male molly won't have anything to do with her. The male guppies chase her around.

5. 0morrokhFishlore VIPMember

Oh, ok. Livebearers are kinda wierd, I'm not really surprised the Guppy is the one chasing the other Molly... ::)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice