Molly Baby Suprise!

Discussion in 'Breeding Fish' started by sumjoy0474, Jan 5, 2013.

1. sumjoy0474New MemberMember

I am in profound shock and need some advice badly. Forgive me for rambling, but it's been a bit of an ordeal & I'm pretty new to fish-keeping. 5 weeks ago my molly had 8 babies, so I bought a little 1 1/2 gallon tank and all are doing well, and are now released back into the 10 gal tank until I can connect with the local LFS to see if he wants them. The male molly died shortly after the 1st batch, but had been very active with the female before that, so I knew there would be another batch or two, I wasn't worried, I read they don't have too many at a time, so I was expecting MAYBE up to 30.

We set up the little tank again and were going to transfer the female Friday, but alas, were a couple hours too late, woke up to lots of babies and the other fish snacking... ! So we hurried and put the big fish in the clean water bucket (don't have enough cover for babies, thus the little tank), along with mommy, removed all the rocks, etc from the big tank & started moving babies to the little tank. We lost count somewhere around 35 and just moved on to, well, dirty words... Went to put big fishes back in the big tank, and gah! more babies in the bucket!

So all the babies are now in the little tank & all the big fish are back in the big tank and I am hopelessly over-stocked with waaaay too many fish! No lying or exaggerating, there are somewhere between 60 and 70 molly fry in that tiny tank. (Took multiple pics, multiple times & counted that way.) What do I do?? This was not in the game plan! (I fully admit & acknowledge my ignorance and many mistakes, so please be kind with your answers.)

2. oscarsbudWell Known MemberMember

Hi and Welcome!

When my mollies have babies, I usually just leave them in there for an extra snack for the other guys. This last time I did put them in a breeder box and now have over 30 swimming around in there and am wondering myself what the heck I am going to do. You can check with your LFS and see if they would be interested in buying them, giving you some store credit for them or even just taking them off your hands. That is what I am going to do.

To feed them, crush up some flakes as fine as you can and give them the smallest of pinches 2 or 3 times a day.

There will be others along with more suggestions. Good Luck.

3. cschiefsNew MemberMember

Good Luck to you! That is a lot of fry - wow!

4. sumjoy0474New MemberMember

Oscarsbud,

Thank you, Well, the LFS here in Cody said "No thanks". So.... sigh, maybe someplace in Billings. Thanks for the feeding tip too, I learned about crushed food with the first batch of 8 and got a little... lets just say 'enthusiastic' with the quantity I made... won't be out of baby fish food for...awhile...

I probably should've just left them in the big tank, but my mommy instincts got the better of me (save the babies!) and now I'm too squeamish to just dump them back... Got a new 10 gal tank for them for now but... (getting it cycled with an old bio-filter before switching tanks).

5. sumjoy0474New MemberMember

Cschiefs,

Thanks & Yup! I was so not prepared... Can post pics if anyone wants to go cross-eyed counting the little buggers! Am now fervently praying she doesn't have another batch. (Not sure I'm a fan of them 'saving sperm for a later date'...)

6. EiennaFishlore VIPMember

I wasn't prepared for mine either XD Thankfully, my molly only had one baby...that I found, anyway.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice