Molly Babies

Discussion in 'Molly' started by kuba1992, Mar 21, 2010.

1. k

kuba1992 Valued Member Member

hey everyone my brown molly had babies yesterday. none of the fish seem to bother the fish... i thought they would get eaten? im glad there not of course but jsut curious. is it because i have a 65 gallon? also i got a white molly thats gunna have babies soon it looks squared off. should i put it in the breeder box or let it do its thing in the tank becuz the brown one did and they seem fine swimming along. also how long will they take to grow like a half an inch? thanks in advance everyone!

2. benjaminBreaker

benjaminBreaker Valued Member Member

Perhaps the fry are too big to fit into the other fish's mouths. Then again, if you had fish that were that immature, they wouldn't exactly be having babies...that's puzzling.

Maybe you just feed them really well! :D
    Or it could be the 65. Are you sure the fry aren't just hiding, and the other fish can't get to them? Or are they swimming around with the other fish?

3. OP
    OP
    k

most of the fry are just swimming free in the middle of the tank lol. and also can diff color mollies breed with each other?

4. benjaminBreaker

benjaminBreaker Valued Member Member

I answered that question in your other thread. That is quite odd...every molly or platy fry I've ever had has had fish trying to eat them. Like I said, maybe it is because you feed them well, or maybe it's because of all the room...Then again, even I wouldn't pass up a tasty meal even if I had a lot of room.
    If I was standing in a football stadium and had a T-bone steak, I would say, "more room to make a mess!" and dig in! :)

Maybe somebody else will come along and be able to answer that.

5. bassbonediva

bassbonediva Fishlore VIP Member

As long as the fry have places to hide, they usually won't get eaten. I have pea gravel in my tank and I had platy fry hiding in the spaces between the gravel. They LOVE hornwort to hide in since it's a floating plant and most of your other fish won't bother searching it.

As far as how long it'll take them to grow to 1/2"...depends on their diet, the temperature of the tank and how long they can remain hidden. I'd say about a month, though.

6. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning,

:animal0068:I've merged your threads and deleted the duplicates. Please create one thread per topic only. It can get very confusing to other members with duplicate threads and posts.
    Thanks!
    Ken

7. OP
    OP
    k

Lol. Thanks everyone!!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice