Molly aggression?

Discussion in 'Molly' started by klutz10154, Dec 14, 2012.

1. klutz10154

klutz10154 Valued Member Member

I have 3 mollys in a 10 gal fully cycled tank. 2 females and a male. the male keeps picking on the females pushing them around, biting, bumping, chasing. I was told that he would probably chase them some but not relentlessly. if its not to one of the girls then it is to the other. Any idea what this is about? anything I can do?

2. Akari_32

Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

Hiya! Your first problem is your tank size. Mollies are mean buggers when not provided with the proper space. You're going to want at least 20 gallons for 3 mollies, and even then, they could still cause trouble. Mollies are brats, plain and simple.

3. OP
    OP
    klutz10154

they'll be getting moved into a 35 once it's cycled

4. guppygrl

guppygrl Valued Member Member

My female Dalmatian Molly is pretty aggressive at times. Very social fish but I can say they need space to get away from the male. The move into that new tank will make them happy :)

5. tunastrack

tunastrack Well Known Member Member

Is there fish you are planning to leave in the 10 gal? Because you can always put the filter from the 10 gal on the 35 to instant cycle it. Or, even just take some of the filter media from it and put it in. The longer these girls stay under such stress the more likely they will get sick and eventually die.

When you do move them over, I suggest adding one more nice sized female. Hopefully this will calm the male down.

I have a black molly male who is a mean lil bugger, he was relentless in bullying my creamy girl. So I showed him, I took all his girls away from him and added all male fish..HAHA...

6. guppygrl

That'll teach him Tuna! Great idea. :)

7. Akari_32

I tried to chill my female Dalmation out by giving her a boyfriend, and instead she taught him out to beat up my 9 inch long goldfish >.<

8. guppygrl

Wow.... aggressive!

9. Akari_32

I know! Little jerks <.< They had a whole 150 gallons to not bother anyone, and yet they seek out the biggest fish they can find and pick on 'em lol Mollies are hillarious :p

10. Eienna

Eienna Fishlore VIP Member

A trick that sometimes helps is to put in the subdominant fish and let them get settled for about 2-3 weeks, then add the bully. Gives them a chance to establish their space and start feeling like they can stand up for themselves. :)

Even so, my biggest molly pushed the other around A LOT for a while. Now they're like best friends aside from the occasional shove (usually at mealtime.)

11. OP
    OP
    klutz10154

hahaha the funny thing is that its mainly the smallest of all the mollies beating up on mostly the biggest one. and the biggest one is the one thats been in there longest. By at least 3 months. he's he newest addition to the tank. my plan is to use the 10 gal as a quarantine/ maturity tank

12. Eienna

Eienna Fishlore VIP Member

You mean maternity?

13. OP
    OP
    klutz10154

yes yes I do spell check gone wrong lol

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice