Molly Aggression

Discussion in 'Molly' started by Darkovi, Dec 6, 2012.

1. DarkoviNew MemberMember

Hey,

I recently got a 29 gal. tank. After cycling it without fish for a week (enough time?), I bought 2 black mollies (M and F). The Female is relatively large (almost 3 inches) and bullied the male (2.5 in.). I then bought 2 more females, a dalmatian at 3 inches and another black molly at 2 inches. There is no aggression among the females. The only problem is the original 2, where the large female attacks the male whenever he swims near. I want to breed them, but I don't think it's going to happen if this continues. Should I remove the Female? Or get a different male?

If you need more info, my tank is mapped out on my profile.

2. scotty bWell Known MemberMember

hello and :sign0016: to fishlore
    ive noticed mollies can be a bit nippy, is she attaching him or just scorning is attempt at mating ?
    have youu read about the nitrogen cycle ?

3. lucky strike 21Well Known MemberMember

how did you cycle you tank?

4. DarkoviNew MemberMember

Thank you for the welcome!

I've been watching them a lot, and it's safe to say she is attacking him. I have never witnessed the male attempt to mate with any of the females.

And thanks for the link, it's very informative.

5. DarkoviNew MemberMember

Cycling: I bought sand from a pet store that already had bacteria in it. I put it in the tank and didn't add fish for about 7 days.

6. scotty bWell Known MemberMember

i would say that you might want to trade her in for another female

im not sure how affective the fw live sand is have you gotten a test kit?
    whats your nh3 and no3 at?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 6, 2012
  7. DarkoviNew MemberMember

The only test kit I have at the moment is for Ammonia. But I'm getting kits for Nitrate and Nitrite tomorrow, conveniently enough. I guess I'll find out how the sand worked based on the numbers I get tomorrow.

8. scotty bWell Known MemberMember

so wat's your ammonia at?

9. DarkoviNew MemberMember

.25, as of 4 days ago. I've since done a ~15% water change.