Molly aggression. Anyone have experience?

Tpane27

I have a 29 gallon with what is now 8 glo tetras(the white/black skirt ones) and 1 Dalmatian Molly. There were more mollies in the beginning until this Molly killed the others. This fish goes through phases of being nice and than it chases the other fish. It seems that it darts at that but doesn’t nip them. Plenty of hiding places/plants and what not. I’ve quarantined the Molly in a five gallon bucket with an air stone and put it back in. Not sure what else to do but it disrupts a peaceful community pretty often.

UnknownUser

Well Known
Molly’s seem to be hit or miss. They’re known as “peaceful” but the first one I got immediately started attacking all my fish, and others have reported similar behavior. Fish are individuals, sometimes you can’t just throw the whole species into “aggressive” or “peaceful”. Best bet for you is to return or rehome the molly.

AquaticQueen

Well Known
IME, mollies can be pretty aggressive. I had three originally and the female bullied one of my males to death and now picks on my corys all the time.
I do not recommend mollies for beginners because their temperaments can vary a lot.
I would probably rehome the molly.

LightBrownPillow

Rehoming might be your best option for that guy. However, I have in the past trained the aggression out of a fish (tiger barb) by scooping it into a small cup whenever I catch it attacking other fish. After 3 or 4 times, it calmed down and lived peacefully for 2 more years. So you could try that if you're determined to keep this molly.

UnknownUser

Well Known
LightBrownPillow said:
Rehoming might be your best option for that guy. However, I have in the past trained the aggression out of a fish (tiger barb) by scooping it into a small cup whenever I catch it attacking other fish. After 3 or 4 times, it calmed down and lived peacefully for 2 more years. So you could try that if you're determined to keep this molly.
Fish are so smart.

OP
T

Tpane27

I’ve had the Molly for months now, I doubt a store would take it back. It’s also decent sized and would probably die in the stores little tanks now. Anyone know someone looking for a fish!? ****

Mike1995

Well Known
I have a 90g with about 20. I find the more the better. and more females.
In my 20g long I have 6 gold panda lyretail mollies. They all get along.
I think its hit or miss. Males definitely will be relentless if you don't have enough females

JettsPapa

Fishlore VIP
I had a few when I was starting out. I got rid of them because I was tired of them chasing the corys away every time it looked like one of them had found something to eat.

OP
T

Tpane27

Mike1995 said:
I have a 90g with about 20. I find the more the better. and more females.
In my 20g long I have 6 gold panda lyretail mollies. They all get along.
I think its hit or miss. Males definitely will be relentless if you don't have enough females
JettsPapa said:
I had a few when I was starting out. I got rid of them because I was tired of them chasing the corys away every time it looked like one of them had found something to eat.
the Molly will be completely fine sometimes. From time to time it looks like it’s almost schooling with the other fish but randomly decides it’s the ruler of the tank and will dart at the other. My african dwarf frogs will go at it if it tries to take their blood worms it’s actually pretty funny. Normally at night the Molly is fine and they all hang out. Not sure but maybe it’s just letting all the others know it rules. My black skirt tetra is fairly large along with a few others so idk

MomOfLiveBearers

Like others have said each fish has its own personalities. It could be craving female mollies. Or he could just be a slightly aggressive guy. I know my male molly and male platy both puff up their aggression when new tank mates are introduced. But they both calm back down by day 2. My male molly has 3 female molly companions but pretends 2 of them dont exist, so the 1 he likes gets more attention than she can handle sometimes. They are their own fish. Best of luck.

OP
T

Tpane27

rageinred said:
Like others have said each fish has its own personalities. It could be craving female mollies. Or he could just be a slightly aggressive guy. I know my male molly and male platy both puff up their aggression when new tank mates are introduced. But they both calm back down by day 2. My male molly has 3 female molly companions but pretends 2 of them dont exist, so the 1 he likes gets more attention than she can handle sometimes. They are their own fish. Best of luck.
Based off the fin it looks like a female Molly

New Threads